Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Why is my wild type axolotl losing his colour?

Rubyscarfell

Reaction score
Hi there! I'm new to all of this, I've got three wild type axys, sushi, flat eric and lancelot, I've had them little over a month now and I'm having similar problems, but mine don't look anything like the pictures posted, my two older ones are dark wild coloured for a few days tjhen are very light tan with very red gills for a few days, mostly nights, they don't look sick, have no fungus, I check the water often, they are eating perfectly fine and never fight with each other and are super active, it doesn't seem to affect them in the slightest, but no idea what causes it, I've asked around a couple of aquariums and pet shops and they don't know either, I'm not worried as my axys are healthy as always would just be curious to what causes it, all three are from the same parents I believe but lancelot stays the same colour all of the time, though he's a few months younger, I was wondering if its when they come into sexual maturity?

Crysta

Reaction score
interesting, the head does look terrestrial, dorsal fin slightly does also (from that angle, to me at least). but it's been so long, most unusual.

please keep posting! If anything new happens.

____

Rubyscarfell It would be better to post your own new thread about it, as you will get more direct answers.

Last edited:

AshSeek

Reaction score
your axis head does look a little strange, someone else mentioned in an earlier post. maybe see about her/him morphing?

seagull

Reaction score
my girl burrito is similar to this
i got her at 4 inches and she was a nice gold color
she is a golden albino, u can tell by the fact that her babies r goldies, but she looks like a white albino
idk why she faded but shes still a sweetheart

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Given that he's had this axolotl for 5 years, I doubt that it's on the verge of morphing.

OliverKlozoff

Reaction score
Wooper is about 5 yo. Was a wild type, now, almost completely white. No signs of stress (gill/tail curl) no fungus evident. Eats well. Tank parameters are WNL, temp is about 66f. He's in my basement, no tank light.

Attachments

• 20230320_202009.jpg
    20230320_202009.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 105

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
Wooper is about 5 yo. Was a wild type, now, almost completely white. No signs of stress (gill/tail curl) no fungus evident. Eats well. Tank parameters are WNL, temp is about 66f. He's in my basement, no tank light.
This has happened to other wild type axolotls on these forums very recently too. Yours is just a new regular. It's still a mystery why this happens but if nothing else is wrong, it might possibly just be due to genetics.

OliverKlozoff

Reaction score
This has happened to other wild type axolotls on these forums very recently too. Yours is just a new regular. It's still a mystery why this happens but if nothing else is wrong, it might possibly just be due to genetics.
Blew my mind. I thought it was some insane fungal thing or something possibly worse. Did repeated water changes, tests, added Indian almond leaves ... got "worse" ... well im glad he's well. It's actually pretty awesome looking

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1