Culturing Waxworms..

gretchenellie

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hopefully someone will find this somewhat useful when they think about setting up a waxworm culture.

I dont use them too often, but they make a good additional feeder.

The mixture that I use consists of:

Quick Oats ( walmart brand oat meal )
Gerber Rice Baby Cereal
Karo Syrup (in place of Glycerol, since I had a hard time locating any)
Honey
Natural Bees Wax Pellets
Wax Paper

I mix all above dry ingredients in equal parts into a medium sized rubbermaid container. I then add the liquid ingredients in small amounts until I have a media that has a slightly flakey texture. I keep it relatively dry to avoid mold.

my ingredients.

000_4024_1-1-1.jpg

I add my wax worms or wax worm eggs, keep in a dark, warm place and wait a bit.. If I start with eggs, It takes about 2 weeks for me to start seeing the worms moving around the container.

picture below of a culture that was set up a while ago:

100_0588-1.jpg

a vid of my Leuc trio enjoying an unhealthy little snack:

]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Sorry for the shakey-ness of the videos.

Very nice - thanks for posting.

This is an outstanding post of immense value. Thank you.
I hadn't realised these frogs could manage such large prey.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back