Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White vs black worm

Schroedermi17

Reaction score
Hello!

I just wondering if either really has an advantage over the other. I know white worms culture faster but black worms can live in the water with the larvae/fish for as long as needed to be consumed. Any thoughts/opinions? Thanks!

Blackbun

Reaction score
Dear Michael, why does it have to be one if the other?
I like it that pinhead crickets and drosophila survive a couple of days in my salamander enclosures unlike chopped segments of worms which die over night and if uneaten could cause issues. Yet I prefer feeding worms but can't always get into the garden to dig them up. Plus there's the added, and fundamental, bonus that I'm offering a range of foods which will hopefully provide for the nutritional requirements of animals.

natterjack

Reaction score
Hello!

I just wondering if either really has an advantage over the other. I know white worms culture faster but black worms can live in the water with the larvae/fish for as long as needed to be consumed. Any thoughts/opinions? Thanks!
you mean nutritional value?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whiteworms are very low in minerals at around 5%, so they really need dusting with a calcium supplement if you are feeding them often. I sometimes feed my terrestrial juvies whiteworms raised on wholemeal bread with Repashy Superpig and nutrabal sprinkled on it, but I'm not sure how much ends up in the worms.
I don't know much about blackworms, they aren't that easy to find in the UK. I think If I could find a reliable supplier I'd use them a lot for raising aquatic larvae.

Schroedermi17

Reaction score
Dear Michael, why does it have to be one if the other?
I like it that pinhead crickets and drosophila survive a couple of days in my salamander enclosures unlike chopped segments of worms which die over night and if uneaten could cause issues. Yet I prefer feeding worms but can't always get into the garden to dig them up. Plus there's the added, and fundamental, bonus that I'm offering a range of foods which will hopefully provide for the nutritional requirements of animals.

I'm just wondering cause a have a few northern 2 liner brook salamander larvae that are already on frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms, but I was just wondering cause I know they would like a variety! Not to mention I have about 100 goldfish eggs hatching right now and once they get big enough I bet they'd love live food haha

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!