Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cannabalism among notophthalmus viridescens?

Gibster477

Reaction score
I currently have a couple adult n viridescens and some newly morphed red efts (morphed this summer so have a few months of growth on them). The adults are being kept aquatic (with some areas to emerge if they need but they rarely if ever do) and the efts are in a terrestrial forest floor setup. In an effort to save space in my ever expanding newt room I am thinking of creating a pond-shore style paladarium in a spare 40 breeder with water for the adults and a large land area for the efts. My concern is that the efts are quite small, 2-3 inches and I am not sure if the adults would prey on the efts. Is this a valid concern or would housing them together go ok as they are the same species?

Thank you!

Nativenewt

Reaction score
If you are keeping the efts with the adults in an aquatic/ terrestrial setup, just make sure that there's no way the efts could drown and be trapped in the water.

Thomas F

Reaction score
I see it like Nativenewt, the main risk is drowning because the efts will fall accidently in the water. I keep red efts without any problems together with terrestrial adults.

BTW If the red efts been bred in captivity they seems to be none toxic.

Cheers,
Thomas

Attachments

• Notoph_all2.jpg
    Notoph_all2.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 559
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!