Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New copper axolotl

WordsOfFate

Reaction score
Last Thursday, my new baby axolotl arrived! I already have two fully grown axolotls, a golden albino and a melanoid, who will both be turning 2 this year. I've been wanting a copper axolotl for the longest time now and since I just recently moved my two girls to a new 75-gallon tank, I figured now would be as good a time as any to get my copper axolotl.

I know it's generally not a good idea to keep axolotls of different sizes together, but since this new tank is extremely big for 3 axolotls and considering how calm my two girls are, I wanted to at least try it but I was also prepared to separate them if needed.

My two girls are extremely calm and timid. Before I upgraded them to the 75-gallon tank, they were unfortunately both stuck in a 20-gallon tank which, as you can probably imagine, quickly became cramped for them. Despite the lack of room, they never once fought or tried biting each other. Instead, even though I still had two different hides for them, most times they preferred sharing one hide together and just generally sticking close together.

I know axolotls aren't social creatures and don't get any benefit from being housed with other axolotls, but they genuinely seem to enjoy each other. Even now in the 75-gallon tank where there are multiple different hides for them, I almost always seem them snuggled close together in the same hide.

So since they liked each other so much, I was hoping they might like the new baby axolotl and I was right.

When I first put the baby in, they both were kinda confused and curious about the new baby. The golden albino kept her distance at first, but the melanoid went straight to the baby, fast enough that I stuck my hand in the tank ready to pull her away if she decided to try and eat it but it never came to that.

The baby quickly took a liking to her and for that entire day, he followed her around the tank and literally would snuggle up to her inside whatever hide she decided to go in. Eventually, the golden albino got the courage to check out the baby and it was just as... affectionate, you could say, to her as well.

I've been checking on them multiple times a day and even now, neither of the 3 axolotls have any missing limbs and so far, seem to get along really well. I know it's still too early to tell how things will end up in the long run so I'll continue to check up on them a few times a day. But my axolotls definitely do make me wonder if some axolotls can be more social than others.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the new baby.
image0.jpg

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

basilstorm

Reaction score
You're probably right in that some are more social than others; I've seen a lot of people on here say that they have a pair who are very attached to each other. One thing I noticed is that it usually seems to be females that get along better, I wonder if gender has anything to do with it or if it's just chance

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!