Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Some ideas for a new Vivarium.

IanF

Reaction score
I'm just trying to plan out some ideas for a habitat for an Ambystomatid, probably a Northwestern Salamander. I'm just going to put a layer of gravel at the bottom and then around 5 inches of soil on top of that. Then add a water dish, some hides, leaf litter, etc.
I read that that particular species is normally found in old forests, so rather than a live plant I was going to add a fake tree stump. But I can't use branches from outside because they would become extremely mouldy, and I don't really want that. So does any one have any ideas as to how to make a couple of fake tree stumps.

Thanks,
Ian

Also, the tank is 2'x1'x1' so they can't be to big.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Great Stuff does ok for making fake stumps. I prefer to use pre-formed blocks of styrofoam and then carving them to the desired shape using my trusty Dremel tool. I have heard of others using mortar, however I will have to find the articles explaining this way. Can I make a suggestion, instead of gravel you may want to try Hyrodoton or LECA (there fired clay balls). Using Hyrodoton will cut down on the weight tremendously.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use collected wood in a number of tanks and mould isn’t really an issue. If you try to sterilize it i.e. bake it, microwave it or boil it you’ll get mould growing quite vigorously in the early days. It may take a while for the relevant micro fauna/flora to establish to keep mould or fungus under control. The amount of mould or fungus will also depend on the type of wood. Once your viv is established you won’t get an alarming amount of mould in my experience.

I personally would prefer to use natural materials over a replica construction – even if it meant replacing it every 6 months. Don’t forget that the wood is really just for your own personal aesthetics, the salamander doesn’t want a tree trunk – it wants a nice hole in the ground where it can hide. Functionality should take precedence over aesthetics. If you can somehow combine the two without compromising the animals requirements then go for it.

Last edited:

IanF

Reaction score
Functionality should take precedence over aesthetics. If you can somehow combine the two without compromising the animals requirements then go for it.
Good point Mark. I'll try to make it both but as you've said the animal should come first.
I geuss I'll give the normal wood a shot since I'm terrible at art and would probably make a 'lump-of-brown-stuff' rather than a tree.
Would branches from an apple tree be alright? It won't take up to much space, plenty of room for hides and leaves...

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
What type of soil will you be using? If it's just soil from your backyard then it should contain enough microfauna, or at least a start, to keep any mold problem to a minimum. If push comes to shove just add a culture of springtails, they make great cleanup crews. If you decide to use the apple wood will you post on how well it stands up to vivarium conditions? I have a few apple trees near by which have great looking branches that have been calling my name.

IanF

Reaction score
I'm using a mixture of multi purpose compost and top soil. It's from B and Q and it's sterilised so it won't have many microfauna. I've read wood lice can do the same job as spring tails so is that a possibility?
I'll post on the wood if you want, I've just heard from a few people on another forum that it's pretty good.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I'm using a mixture of multi purpose compost and top soil. It's from B and Q and it's sterilised so it won't have many microfauna. I've read wood lice can do the same job as spring tails so is that a possibility?

Yes it's a possiblity, however its just that woodlice take so long to breed (at least the ones here in the states) that they would probably be eaten before they could do any real good with the mold.

I'll post on the wood if you want, I've just heard from a few people on another forum that it's pretty good.

If you don't mind I would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Justin

blckkeys

Reaction score
For my terrariums, I put a layer a sphagnum moss between my soil and gravel, this way the soil does not get incorporated into the gravel.
I know the high acidity of the sphagnum can cause problems with caudates, so I am not sure what would be good to use in a vivarium. You could probably use some type of fine plastice mesh or screening.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1