Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help with constipation

phirestorm

Reaction score
Hi All, we are new owners to an Axolotl and believe we have a constipated one. She seemed to be well for the first few days after getting her: she swam on the bottom and ate a couple of worms. After a few days of no feeding I thought it was time to feed her again, this time we tried beef heart. After placing it in front of her mouth she sniffed it then yacked up two partially digested worm bodies and then ate a little of the beef heart. A couple of hours later she was swimming near the top and wouldn't come down.

We freaked and tested the water, it was pretty high in ammonia so we did four gallon water change (ten gallon tank), added ammonia lock as well. She stayed near the top and never came down. My daughter, whom wanted the axolotl started researching what she was doing and came across the constipated links on the web.

She seemed to be exhibiting all the symptoms:

1.) Crooked posture.
2.) Near the top of the tank.
3.) Swollen clocoa.

We read about refrigerating her and fasting her for a few days then feeding her peas or carrots....lots of people seem to have done this but it's freaking me out. We've never owned an axolotl and it's hard to keep her cool from my perspective. I know her respiration will slow down, I understand why, but is it honestly safe? He color is not as bright but she is still breathing and moves her legs when I did a water change. Do I really need to keep her this way for 2-3 days and maybe even for 2 weeks?

Help, freaking out, she's too damn cute and we don't want to screw this up.:(

lea

Reaction score
Is she on gravel???? What is her tank temp????
She you can put her in the fridge for a holiday. Get a container that she can turn around in. Put her in enough water so it covers her. Pop her in the fridge. Oh make sure you close the lid so she doesnt get out and eat your food;). Also place a bottle of water beside her so when you do a water change the temp is the same and she doesnt get a shock.
Everytime I have put my axie in the fridge he has pooped with the first 24 hrs.
As for the carrots and peas I must say I have never heard of this.....sorry but I wouldnt be doing it.

phirestorm

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. She's in a tank with sand not gravel. Temp is usually about 66-68. As for a container, it's sad but we have her in a cooking pan (with a lid)that is large enough for her to turn around in.

Do you know when she will do her business? Is it after I let her come back up to a warmer temp and after she eats or is it when she is colder and not fed? :confused:

lea

Reaction score
you will see it.....trust me. I think it is when they get cold.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1