Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Aquascape?

Sassafras

Reaction score
It won't be a true "aquascape" per say, but I'm setting up a tank right now (2ftx1ftx1ft) to maximize axolotl comfort, enrichment, cleanliness, and aesthetics with the use of rocks and live plants. I wont be getting my axolotl for another 2 weeks, but I want to make sure everything is perfect for it!
Anyways, I'd love some opinions on heavily planted tanks and how everyone's axolotls have reacted to their environments. My dad's a biology major and teaches environmental science and he said the biology of the tank is good, so I really just need advice on axolotls!
Right now my tank is set up for one axolotl with some hairgrass, native moss, and some leafed/stem plants growing in an empty tank I've been cycling with fish for a while. They're all used to cold water and low light, and the native plants have been sterilized, quarantined and still under observation for snails or other pests. As a substrate I have semi-large pebbles (I'll explain hold on! Don't freak out just yet!) over an under gravel filter, this way the roots of the plants have a chance against axies pulling them out. On TOP of the pebbles I have aquarium sand so the axies don't swallow the pebbles, and hopefully the underground current will help to reduce potential toxic air pockets. There's a large stone cave for hiding with a slope upward and it's flat on top so more plants can grow up there and the axolotl can hang around closer to the surface if it wants.
I'll be testing the water tomorrow for nitrates, DO, ammonia, etc so the plants have time to change the water chemistry before I react to it too much haha. I'll also take some picture when I get home so you guys can see.

In all, the 20g tank will hopefully only be temporary until my axie grows up and I can transfer some of the stuff into a larger 55g tank.

TL;DR: How has your axolotl reacted to planted tanks (beside ripping the plants out) and what are some elements to planted tanks your axolotl appears to enjoy?

jdlqh8

Reaction score
My axolotls love my plants! They actually end up climbing through them, on top of them and they actually provide more hiding spaces. I have even "lost" an axolotl because he hid so well!

I'm a little jealous about the underground filter and would love to hear how that works out. But honestly the plants help my tank keep great water chemistry.

The only complaint I have (which is more from my wife then me) my water is NEVER crystal clear. Most of the time my water appears green because I don't clean my whole tank so I don't have to up root the plants and what not. It is also green because I'm currently having a blast with floating plants like duckweed or frogbit to block out some of the light. I think it gives the environment a more natural appearance so I'm all for it.

Post pictures as soon as you can!

Tea Addict

Reaction score
Rocks are a great away to keep the plants down! Some people tie the roots down with thread as this will eventually degrade while to roots take hold but in my experiance rocks r the best way to ensure the plants dont float away. The axies will try to dig around the rocks though lol.

I'm glad your useing lots of plants! When I set my tank up I was basically told not to bother with them as the axies will kill them bu they are still alive months later:)

Sassafras

Reaction score
I'm really glad to hear your axolotls like them!
Here's a picture of the 20g so far. The plants are still pretty young so they don't havve that "overgrown" look to them just yet. I picked up some more plants yesterday and trimmed them up, so hopefully I can trim them short to make pretty foreground plants, too. They're growing in a separate tub right now.
snapshot (7).jpg

Eventually for the 55g+ tank I want to set up something like this but without the waterfall and with cavesin the "roots"
tumblr_m9tidaaRnD1rfc73zo1_1280.jpg

or like this, but I imagine it would be pretty hard to keep all the moss algae free

IAPLC-2010-ADA-Contest-2010-World-Ranking-4.jpg

E Mandragora

Reaction score
I'm working on a 20 gal aquascape as well. :3 I just got some new low-light plants of various green tones, and a lovely branch to turn into a hoary old tree. My 'dolmen' (aka cave made of river rock, soon to be colonized by moss) is half done... just got to get that moss to stick. I've got a pile of java fern for foreground 'grass-like' material, and some taller plants for 'shrubbery'. And some lovely stuff that looks like tiny oak leaves for the 'canopy' of the tree, which I hope will eventually cover the surface of the water to provide a pretty filter-flow and light block.

I've noticed my lotl likes to climb, so I wanted him to have lots of levels to explore. Hence the multi-height design.

I'll post pics once the first batch of plants is tied to the 'tree'. ^^ I love that others are getting creative with their lotl's homes, too. I felt like an insane person trying to describe the 'feel' I was after to the plant store guy. lol.

10fenny

Reaction score
i gots a 75 gal with hella plants in it. they love em. never really up root them. but the plants i have have the longest roots ever so i dont think there goin anywhere. i use playsand i got from home depot 3.50$ for 50lbs isnt bad. muhahaha. i just got some red tiger lotus. they make the big lily pads they make the light not so harsh. looks great ill hafta post a pic when im not at work

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!