Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank size/depth

suitable4frank

Reaction score
I have posted another thread about what I plan for my axolotl's tank setup to be like but this thread is just questioning the kind of sized tank I'm going to get.

I plan to have a single axolotl (probably juvenile as no where I know is selling adults) and I am very torn between what kind of tank to get. I should be getting him within the next couple of months so I need to get this tank and start cycling right away!

There is an 70x35x40 (cm) 90L (just under 20 gallons)
a 80x35x40 (cm) 112L (24 gallons)
or an 80x45x55 (cm) 120L (26 gallons)

A lot of people have said that both tank sizes are fine, especially for just one axolotl, but I really want to get the one that would benefit my lotl more. Some people have in fact said they are too big, I don't see how (I'd prefer my little guy to be in a big space with plenty of room rather than in a little 50L tank) but it would be great if you guys could enlighten me. I know this size tank is going to look huge compared to just a little juvenile but I'd rather have a tank he grew into and not have to buy a whole new tank when he out grows one.

I am swerving towards the 120L as it's deeper but would this be the right thing to do? What would an axolotl be happier in?

auntiejude

Reaction score
Floor space matters more than anything else - there is no point wasting money on a deeper tank with the same floor area as a shallower one. Depth should be at least the length of your axie - so anything over 30cm should be OK.

TBH I would go with the cheapest of those options - all are plenty big enough for one axie, in fact you could put 2 in the 90L and 3 in the larger tanks.

keiko

Reaction score
Personally I would get the biggest one. The bigger the better. The idea behind the argument that a tank is too big is that a very young axie might have a hard time hunting for food in there, but that's not a problem if you hand feed and don't feed them only feeder fish etc.

Though you only need a minimum of 30 cm of water for an axie, it's good to have a tank that is a bit taller. Then you can fill it a few cm short from the top so your axie won't be able to jump out. I have mine like that and never have to use any lids so it's easier while cleaning and feeding and the water evaporates and keeps the tank a bit cooler.

I have a 240 L (120 x 45 cm floor space) tank for my two axies (plus a third one as soon as she/he is big enough) and I think it's pretty nice size. If I were to get more axies I'd probably get a second tank. I would never put three axies in 80x35x40 cm or 80x45x55 cm tank... I love watching my axies roam around the tank with plenty of space.

PS. I had mine in the same tank since they were 10 cm long and yes the tank looked huuuuuge back then but they also grow very fast so there's no point in getting a smaller tank at first.

rachel1

Reaction score
I agree. If you have the space and the funds, the bigger the better as far as tank size goes. Larger water volume means an easier tank to balance in terms of waste management, and will require less maintenance for good water quality. They do grow quickly, and will utilize as much space as you give them.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
On another note floor space is important but you can go with a taller tank that has more vertical areas to climb (plants, driftwood, rocks..) since it's only one axolotl it doesn't matter too much but once there's more axolotls this can be used to offer more space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1