Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My axolotl is floating

valokayla

Reaction score
So I recently bought an axolotl (March 12th) and things were fine for a while. He's been going through sick spells lately where he floats. Sometimes its nothing and he goes back down no problem. Sometime when he goes down his tail end still floats. And sometimes it looks like he's struggling to stay down.

I have him in a 10g tank with an internal filter. The outflow is diverted by some java moss. I have moss balls in there as well. I have a tunnel for him and rarely turn on his light. The room is usually kept pretty cool, but I frequently put frozen water bottle in there to cool it down. I don't have a thermometer so I don't know exact temps. There is no substrate in the tank. I've ran tests on the water and its fine. He's on a diet of refrigerated canned bloodworms right now because I fear he's too small for earthworms. I preform frequent water changes about 2-3 inches off the top probably once or twice a week. And I remove all uneaten food and poop as soon as I can.

He's about 3-4inches long tip to tip. You can clearly see he has some air in his abdomen. And its gotten to wear he is floating on his side from the air bubble.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I've read a ton of forum posts since this started happening. Everyone says its the water quality but every time I've tested it is all zeros. When he floats I put him in a shallow container. Usually I keep him in the container for a few days, changing the water every day. When he isn't floating on his side he still eats well, although I usually have to feed him with plastic forceps since he doesn't reach/acknowledge them on the bottom of the container.

Can anyone help?:confused:

13140842_10209669008390751_1581043194_n.jpg

13115488_10209669010230797_1330254199_n.jpg

13140618_10209669011470828_884994825_n.jpg

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Doesn't look good, not sure if it is air or not as I'm not experienced in this area. I would seek a vet that can deal with Caudates ASAP. A vets diagnosis and treatment could save him

valokayla

Reaction score
I've consulted the breeder. We both think his food is expired. She said that the bacteria from the food could be "blooming" in his stomach causing him to float and bloat. I've noticed that after he poops he goes back to normal. Until it accumulates again. I'm switching him to live earthworms to see if this solves the issue.

valokayla

Reaction score
He's been taking the earth worms great. He's back to normal and super perky and energetic. I'm certain it was the old food that was upsetting his stomach.

Donna001

Reaction score
That's fantastic news. :happy:
I'm so pleased that he has taken to the earthworms and is looking much better. :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!