Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Tank Sizing

GhostW

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm new to this site and new to owning and axolotl so please bear with me if this is a silly question.

I brought my axolotl home about a month ago and he (I know I can't sex it yet but it feels weird to refer to as an 'it') came in what was basically a petri-dish. The kit he came with was a 5.5 gallon tank and I placed a divider inside so he only had access to about 2 gallons. However, he's still very small, about 1.5 inches long with front legs fully grown and back legs budding but not reaching the ground. He seemed to be having trouble finding his food in the larger tank so I moved him into a medium sized cup (the kind you would get a fruit salad in) and he seems to be finding his food perfectly fine in there and eats twice daily.

My question is, what size of tank is appropriate for an axie this small? When should I move him from this "temporary" home back into his tank?

Thank you!

Biev

Reaction score
At minimum, your axolotl needs to be able to walk around a little and turn around without hitting anything with his tail. I think you have it figured out already: watch his behavior, it will tell you when you need to upgrade! Sounds like you've found the right balance for now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1