Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Plants that are ideal for axolotl

mega

Reaction score
I am newbie owner and I am still finishing up my tank.
What are your favorite plants to put in with your axolotls?
Thanks!
:)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Jave fern, java moss and Anubias are also good options.

mega

Reaction score
Sweet. I definately will look around for those things.
:)

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Some recommend plants:

• Anubias Nana - great plant, virtually indestructible, hardy and low maintenance.
  • Anubias Isabelle - very tough, taller than the Nana.
  • Anubias Barteri - just like the Nana, but a bit bigger and with rounder leaves.
  • Java Fern - one of the toughest aquatic plants you can get - grows anywhere!
  • Java Moss - grows anywhere as well, can be made into a sort-of "carpet"
  • Lilaeopsis - this is like grass, you can make a beautiful lawn in your tank with it.
  • Eleocharis (Hairgrass) - same as with Lilaeopsis tends to be a bit taller though.
  • Pongol - this is actually Mondo Grass, so it's not a true aquatic but survives (doesn't grow, just survives) for ages submerged, not really recommended.
  • Congensis - quite striking for a centrepiece plant.
  • Riccia - Riccia generally needs a lot of light to grow properly, thus only suitable for brighter tanks.
  • Narrow Chain Sword - another grassy-type thing. Looks pretty, grows happily.

Snailbait

Reaction score
Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, but I didn't see much sense in starting a new one if there's already a discussion on plants right here! :D

My question is, how would one go about quarantining/cleaning live plants from a pet store? I've decided that I'm probably going to use live instead of fake, but I don't want to get icky things from the shop in my tank...

Also, are there any plants that are harmful to axolotls? I can't remember what types the shop has, but it's a limited selection. Are there any that don't require much light at all to survive?

I've never used live plants in a tank before, are they difficult to mantain? Do they make the tank especially messy? I hope I can get something very hardy, I somehow managed to kill a potted cactus. :(

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I ordered a very large java fern online, I will PM you the site if you are interested, but it is extremely hardy and a low light/temperature plant.

Live plants HELP maintain good water parameters, as they absorb some nitrates that contribute to poor water quality.

To quarantine, just keep the plant in a separate source of water and keep an eye on it to make sure no snails or anything pop up...I've also found online people using a VERY mild bleach solution to wash the plant with.

blackdog

Reaction score
I'm only a beginner, but i read somewhere that soaking store bought plants in a mild salt solution will kill off a lot of store nasties including snails and bugs.

Then rinse them by soaking in some old tank water.

Makes sense to me, that's what i'll be doing next time

bren

callina

Reaction score
I'm only a beginner, but i read somewhere that soaking store bought plants in a mild salt solution will kill off a lot of store nasties including snails and bugs.

Then rinse them by soaking in some old tank water.

Makes sense to me, that's what i'll be doing next time

bren

I don´t know, maybe you´re right. But some plants are sensitive for salt water and they could die (vallisneria f.e.). On the other hand some snails, like ramshorn snails will survive in low concentrated salt water solutions and for planaria salt water isn´t harmful.

I quarantine new plants for 24 hours in sparkling table water - but I´ve never tested how it works against snails.

Leedle3dle

Reaction score
I have a pretty bad algae problem in my 75 gallon axolotl tank, what are some good plants to eat up the nutrients?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!