Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Female noto gravid, what plants?

jbherpin

Reaction score
My female noto is definately gravid. What type of plant is the standard(for egg deposition), and what else is useable? Should the tank be choked with plants, or just good laying sites here and there? I here Elodia is best, but I've never seen it at local shops. Should it be a plant that resembles elodia, or just something with similar texture?
-jbherpin-
:confused:

A

achiinto

I think most plant that with leaves thin, as opposed to thick( so that they can fold the leaf), can be used. If you want to save the plant from being destroyed by the newts, you may like to try using plastic egg laying strip. I have success letting my C. Orientalis lay egg in either mediums.

plastic egg laying strip - http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/eggstrips.shtml

Gingrich

Reaction score

slowfoot

Reaction score
My females prefer elodea, but they'll use any plant with a soft, floppy leaf they can fold. They also definitely prefer to lay near the surface, so I'd make sure to float some of the plants you plan to use.

Good luck :happy:

jbherpin

Reaction score
My females prefer elodea, but they'll use any plant with a soft, floppy leaf they can fold. They also definitely prefer to lay near the surface, so I'd make sure to float some of the plants you plan to use.

Good luck :happy:

Thanks a lot! Do they like an abundance, or just a few throughout? When(seasonally) do your females lay? Should the male be removed soon? How long should I give her to finish laying them all before I remove her? Will rinsed live brine shrimp be taken by larvals? Any advice will be appreciated!

-jbherpin-

slowfoot

Reaction score
They seem to like a lot, and extra plants probably aren't going to hurt anything. Plus, if you're interested in keeping all of the eggs, you'll want to remove them before they get eaten by the adults. The easiest way to do that would be to swap out elodea strands (it doesn't need to be rooted to stay alive). Or you could also cut off the leaves that have eggs glued to them.

My females laid from November to January usually (but they started early this year) so it might be easier to remove eggs rather than the female. They also seem to lay more often in the morning. I take the male out every few days to give the females a chance to relax. He has a bachelor pad :D You can probably just keep any eye on them and look for signs of distress in the female before removing him.

As for feeding the larvae: I've used the pond water method (described in the CC articles section), and purchased Moina for them. I'm brine-shrip impaired, so I haven't used them, but I hear freshly hatched brine shrimp work well. The newt larvae are really, really small.

jbherpin

Reaction score
They seem to like a lot, and extra plants probably aren't going to hurt anything. Plus, if you're interested in keeping all of the eggs, you'll want to remove them before they get eaten by the adults. The easiest way to do that would be to swap out elodea strands (it doesn't need to be rooted to stay alive). Or you could also cut off the leaves that have eggs glued to them.

My females laid from November to January usually (but they started early this year) so it might be easier to remove eggs rather than the female. They also seem to lay more often in the morning. I take the male out every few days to give the females a chance to relax. He has a bachelor pad :D You can probably just keep any eye on them and look for signs of distress in the female before removing him.

As for feeding the larvae: I've used the pond water method (described in the CC articles section), and purchased Moina for them. I'm brine-shrip impaired, so I haven't used them, but I hear freshly hatched brine shrimp work well. The newt larvae are really, really small.

Thank you so much! You've really helped me out on this one! I'll keep you posted for sure.

-jbherpin-

slowfoot

Reaction score
Good luck with your newts. I think adding a lot of plants is key. Here's my newt tank right now (ignore the duckweed - I hate it and want it gone):

plants.JPG

I think the females appreciate having a lot of choices. The one you can barely see in the picture (at the water's surface) is picking out a laying spot.

jbherpin

Reaction score
Looks VERY nice! I'll try to immitate the plant density and hope that it encourages her to lay. Right now I only have 2 small sword-leaf plants, and a length of "fake" vine plant. She stays beneath the roots, in the crack of 2 rocks. Should the male be removed? He grabbed her around the neck(amplexing) and held for 5 minutes or so yesterday. Is his work done, or is he still needed for fertile clutches?

-jbherpin-

jbherpin

Reaction score
What I was saying is that I don't know if she has already received spermatophore and is fertile, and the male is amplexing without need. Should he be removed?
-jbherpin-

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I think without physically seeing her pick up the spermatophore there is no way to tell if she is fertile. I would just leave him in there until she starts laying eggs then you could sperate them for a few days.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1