Advice on plants and water tests please!!

big a little a

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Country
England
Hello!

After a few weeks looking through the forum and talking in the chat room, I'm finally posting a thread!

Decided I wanted to get an axolotl nearly 3 months ago and since then have been researching them (looking a lot on this forum, if truth be told!).

I have got my tank now (about 2 and three quarter foot long by 15 inches wide), full of declorinated water, with sand at the bottom (no gravel!) and a nice hiding place. And I managed to set up my filter (after much stress!) and have got that running.

Tomorrow I am going to buy some big round pepples to go in there (about the size of my fist, so no chance of swallowing!!!), some more carbon filter sponges, tubing to attach to the filter to make a sprinkler system (to keep the water calm), some plants and a water testing kit.

Here lies my first question - what type of plants are best for an axie - I understand that hardier plants are better, but I don't know the names of any of them?

My second question is regarding water testing kits - I understand that the test strip types aren't recommended - the other type I've seen are littles test tube bottles which you fill (and then add something to, presumably) - is this type ok?

And my final question relates to lighting - there are 2 18 watt flourescant light tubes in the hood, which, if an axie doesn't have eyelids (haha, someone has been paying attention in class!!), seems a bit bright - what wattage would you suggest, as I can replace them tomorrow too?

Basically, I just want to creat a perfect, healthy environment before I even start looking to get an axie, as the little fellla's health and happiness is the most important thing.

Thanks very much in advance!

Zoe x

P.S Sorry! I know I have said final question previously but...in regards to cyling the tank, to my knowledge that means to get all the PH, nitrate, nitrite and amonia levels correct and to have had the filter running through for a couple of weeks - is there anything else I'm missing that I should do?? My future axie thanks you! :happy:

1. Plants - Anything suitable for the water conditions for an axie, Cold water, low light
(java moss is great)

2. Perfect kit... better value then strips, and more accurate.. just remember to rinse them after the test, i find ammonia tends to stain the tube, and can mess with future results)

3. if you can get enough hides in the tank, and some plants to sit up higher int he tank, this will help...

4. Keep up the daily checks, and water changes to help with ammonia spikes. and just keep checking, you will know when its done 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 40ish on nitrate ph 7.0 to about 8ish is "safe" if you odnt have silly levels of ammonia (high ph and ammonia turns ammonia into ammonium (i think it is), which will kill you axie, rather quickly... so PH about 7, and keep ammmoia down with water changes (small, and frequent)

Hi big a little a,

There are some plants that do better in axolotl tanks as they do not require too much light, thrive in colder waters and generally hardier to uproot etc. I generally recommend Java fern, Java Moss, Anubias, some species of amazon sword (there is a range of requirements) and Elodea. Because you do have some aquarium lighting (just 6hours/day will suffice), you can actually try some other plant species such as banana lilies. What you can also do is to automate your lighting with one of those timer set socket plugs for your lights, such that you can coincide 6 hours of lighting in the day. You can consider some of the floating species of plants as well but take note some really small ones like duckweed can actually clog your filter. (well at least it did for me)

http://faq.thekrib.com/plant-list.html

Yes, the colorimetric solution type test kits are the ideal type.

Its great that you are already providing hiding places. Do ensure theres plenty of these so your axies can retreat into the shade when required. The fluorescent lighting itself actually doesn't emit excessive heat nor excessive UV radiation so its actually quite safe. Since you have two tubes in there, why not just do away with one? Two tubes seem a bit too bright.

Cheers

Thanks very much for your help b00f and Ray.

Way ahead of you Ray!!!! I tried removing one of the lights, but it only seems to work with two in (bloody laws of physics and connectivity!) - but yes, I agree with you, it does seem bright, so I will go and get a lower wattage (hopefully around 10-12 watts).

Will hopefully be able to post pictures of the set up next week.

Cheers

Zoe

Hi Zoe,

Plants that are working well for me are Anubias (this needs to be attached to a rock, not put into the sand or a pot), Cryptocoryne (there are many types), and Vallisneria (my favorite) plus various types of moss.

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back