Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Spotted salamanders

woodfrog

Reaction score
Hi. I have five young spotted salamanders. I brought them home as eggs last spring and all but one have come out of the water. I was only planning on keeping one or two in a ten gallon tank but when I was talking with someone who I thought might want one he suggested I keep all five. Is this a good idea? As larvae they were sometimes aggressive towards each other. What would be best?
Thanks

firesalamander

Reaction score
You can probably keep them together until they get about 4 inches long. Then you might want to get a larger enclosure.

Nathan

Reaction score
Adult spotteds are very seldom aggressive towards one another, but ten gallons is too small a space for all five salamanders. Either get more tanks or a larger tank (I suggest about one square foot of floor space per salamander) or find homes for your excess salamanders. I bet you would find homes quickly if you posted in the classified section here.

woodfrog

Reaction score
Thanks. I didn't think that sounded like a good idea. Do you think two in the ten gallon would be okay?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!