I've been looking at axolotls

mactank13

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been looking at axolotls for a while now and i just wanted some information on care. I live in Georgia and i also wanted to check if they are legal here. I have been keeping aquariums for a long time now and thought i might venture into these critters. Any help would be appreciated.

Definitely a good link to start with, then peruse this forum for more information. If you encounter any questions along the way, just ask, somebody will be happy to help you. Yes, they are legal in Georgia (CA and NJ, they are not - FYI)

You'll want a good in tank thermometer, test kits for pH, ammonia, nitrates/nitrites, and a turkey baster for starters...You'll want to think about how many you want to keep, possible breeding if you keep more than one, tank size(bigger is always better ;) ), water flow (filter), maintaining the temp of the tank (axies like it cool!), substrate (gravel is not recommended), hides (axies don't like light), and how you plan on keeping earthworms on hand (recommended staple) - whether that be buying them as you need them or raising your own.

Oh yeah, you should be warned...they are very, very addictive! :D

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the help. I have been looking around the forums and learned some more. I am concerned about the filter. I have an empty 10 gallon aquarium since i bought a larger tank for my fish and it has a regular out of tank filter. The kind that kind of waterfalls the water back into the tank. I looked at some pictures of filters made for axolotls and they seemed a bit more complicated.

Axolotls - Housing in Captivity

Do I need this complicated set up?

Is the 10 gallon meant as a permanent home for an axolotl? If this is to be the permanent home, you may want to consider a smaller caudate as axolotls can reach 12" and that 10 gallon will be pretty cramped for even one adult. Personally, I'd recommend a 15 gallon long as a minimum for one axolotl. If you're planning on upgrading as it grows, that would be a better plan IMO.

As far as filtration, no, you don't need to go complicated...you can use a HOB (waterfall) type filter if you can turn down the flow or disperse the output in some way. I use a Whisper on one of my tanks (zoo med 501s on all the others) with an artificial reptile vine hanging in the waterfall to disperse the flow as it is a newer type without the handy valve on top of the tube. Others have used styrofoam, blocks, rocks, even a soda bottle cut in half and fitted over the outflow.

Yeah, the ten gallon would just be it's home temporarily. I will probably be upgrading to a 40 gallon or so. I was hoping to house two in there because personally I think it would be extremely cruel to house one of these guys all alone.

It's not cruel; they're not social animals. They will live happily by themselves.

You can keep two in a 40 gallon easily. And if you have the means, I recommend starting with the 40 gallon and bypassing the 10 altogether.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back