Our new pet

Hi Joseph,
It is not appropriate to recommend blanket reintroductions if an amphibian or other animal has been kept in captivity for any length of time due to the possibility of introduction of pathogens novel to that population.
If the animal cannot be returned to the exact locality of collection and/or has been kept in/near nonnative species (or even species not native to the locality of collection) then the animal should not be released. Pathogens such as rana and iridioviruses have devestated population(s) of amphibians and reptiles after being transported from one location to another, chytridmycosis in anurans and some salamander populations is another concern.
For another example look at mycoplasma in Gopher/Desert tortoises (which has also now been discovered in box turtles and may be associated with high death rates in some local populations of Terrapene).
Salamanders may be good at hiding but once the kids know how/where to find them, then kids will be able to find them.

Ed

Hi everyone, It has been a really long time since I posted last. I have some sad news. Steve died. I knew it was coming. He never would eat. I tried and tried, but that darn newt was very stubborn. I eventually switched him to a totally teresstrial tank, since he tended to stay out of the water almost always anyhow. Even so, he never was "happy." He would just sit and sit. I was sad to see him die, but on the other hand a little relieved. It was quite depressing to see him slowly fade away. I don't think I'll bring a newt home from the wild again. My daughter wants another newt, but I'm not sure what to do. I hate the idea of encouraging the pet trade practices, but I'm not sure about other options in the NW. Do you think anyone might consider selling me a newt that is captive bread? I'd want to be sure to get a newt that is already eating in captivity, since I obviously lack the skill in teaching one to eat. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Sorry I've not been around. My loss, really. I've thought of you all everytime I looked at Steve. Thanks again for all your encouragement and information.
Stephanie

Hi Steph,

I'm really sorry to hear that about Steve.
sad.gif

Let's talk by e-mail.

Stephanie, I'm sorry to hear about Steve. Your best bets for a captive bred newt/salamander would be Pleurodeles waltl (ribbed newts) or axolots. These are best bets based on availability and how easy it would be to feed them. A tiger salamander is another good option, but they are all wild-caught. You might also want to consider more "touchable" herp pets that your daughter might like, such as geckos.

Jennifer - I think your idea of a more touchable pet sounds good, except it was kind of nice to have a pet that was observation only. My kids already have a hamster that they handle a lot. The hamster is really tame and doesn't seem to mind, but It's hard for me to monitor all the time. I think I'd rather have a pet that the simply could NEVER touch. That way I don't have to be listening to: "Mom, can I...?" all the time!
Pin-Pin- I got your email. I'll be responding shortly. I'm busy with the girls right now.
Stephanie

Sorry to hear about Steve! Jennifer is right about Pluros. They make great pets and from my experience are alway ravenous and happy to tweezer feed. I would disagree that geckos were "touchable". Most gecko species prefer to be left well alone as do the majority of reptiles. A Tokay gecko for example would try to remove your girls fingers. Best to do some research first.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back