Firebelly newt won't eat

During the summer, I thought my newts were going to die because they didn't eat for months and were all bones. I made so many pages asking people for help but nothing I tried worked. Now they're laying eggs and eating everytime I feed them. The only thing that changed was the temperature. As summer ended and fall started, their tank got cooler and they started to eat.

Maybe that could be one of the problems in your tank? Try to bring it down to the 60s if it isn't already

Thnx man my newt is eating now because you suggested dropping the temp thank you! I added ice cubes to do this!

Thank you all for the time you had to help me! My newt is eating pellets like a beast and swimming like a fish. I put lots of decor and he loves it! Ill post pictures soon once he stopes hiding because i dont wanna depress him! Thank you all again im so happy he is eating. Gonna try blood worms in a half month so he can grow first! Thank you all:D:happy::happy::happy::happy:

Bloodworms are a poor choice. Try earthworms, waxworms (they will help the newt gain weight), fresh-water crustaceans or good quality, specially formulated pellets.

I have the good quality pellets from zoomed the sinking ones and there really fatty for a newt. It even says feed him just 3 to 4 a day but i also use floating turtle pellets. I know wax worms help a newt gain weight its just that my newt likes pellets and i dont want to switch to worms right away. I'll try them like in a week. Thnx for the suggestion!

Just wanted to update you guys my newt is eating pellets only and refusing any type of worms. Also sadly i cant post a picture of him cause the focus on my camera is really bad:( but he is gaining weight and now you can barley see his bones!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back