Padletail in his habitat ;)

What is the problem to let out some salamanders that spend their lives inside a prison and takes them to a place so green and full of plants to open their horizons even for half an hour ... I do not understand what is the irresponsibility in giving such a nice experience to the newts and at the same time take some pics?

I seriously doubt your salamanders feel that way. The journey to the site, and being put in a strange environment, are probably both incredibly stressful.

This just seems like a very silly risk to take (to both your animals and the environment) for the sake of some photos.

Eljorgo, BD is Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis, Chytrid fungus.

I'm not taking offense to the term prison, I just feared that others may.

Last edited:
hum... But my newts don´t have it? do they? they are all heathy! I have never kept a dartfrog before too...

Some species of amphibian can act as symptomless vectors (i.e. carriers) of the fungus, which was originally described from infections in dendrobatid dart frogs but is one of the most important causes of the current amphibian mass extinction and infects a wide range of amphibian species in all three orders (frogs/toads - anura -, newts/salamanders - caudata -, and caecilians - gymnophiona-). A good example of this is the American Bullfrog (Rana catesbeiana), but without laboratory tests (tissue samples etc) there is no way of knowing if an animal is positive for BD until it is very ill.
BD is one of a number of amphibian diseases linked with population declines, many of which are very opportunistic and can infect a range of non-amphibian hosts.
Many of these diseases can suddenly appear when infected animals are stressed.

Amphibians do not respond to new environments like we do; they do not enjoy it, but rather are stressed by it. Pachytriton (paddle-tail newts) are territorial and removal from territories established in their captive enclosure is disorientating and stresful.

I appreciate that letting your newts 'run free' for a little while might seem like a good idea, but do you see why it might be bad for both your animals and for the environment. No-one is accusing you of deliberately damaging the laurel forests, but, having read some of the responses, do you appreciate why people on this forum are concerned by you putting your animals, even temporarily, into your local habitat?

Chris

hum... But my newts don´t have it? do they?

This statement here, the fact that you DON"T KNOW FOR SURE, should be warning enough to not take reckless chances with the health of the environment and that of your animals.

Okei, I undestand now what I´ve done. I was the last time. The river flows to the sea. There are chances to contamination the fish? I usually make some divings here in the coast and find some very interresting things, hope they don´t disappear...:sad:

Last edited:
1. What are squamates?
2. El, pathogens can travel astonishingly far without hosts...

Squamates(Squamata) are a division of reptiles that includes lizards, snakes and amphisbaenians. Hope that helps.

Eljorjo
Thanks for taking our responses on board. There have been a number of individuals in the past who have been less willing to listen to other opinions!

BTW I used the term 'squamate' as I don't like using the term 'reptile' as the various different groups have a diverse and separate evolutionary history.

Chris

Last edited:
Well, I understod how serious it was but buy now the possible "contaminated water" it far far away! For god sake I hope the laurelforest plants don´t get bad!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back