Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE INTERSTATE BAN NOW: easy version

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now turn your attention to page 4/15:

https://www.fws.gov/international/pdf/injurious-listed-salamanders-permits-guidance.pdf
................................................................................................................................................
"Do I need a permit?

I’m sending injurious-listed salamanders or samples across state lines for the first time. Who has to
get a permit?

The receiving facility should apply for a multiple use interstate movement permit for authorization to
acquire the specimens. They can then receive samples from any sender.

I’m receiving injurious-listed salamanders or samples across state lines for the first time. Who has to
get a permit?

You need a permit. You should apply for a multiple use interstate movement permit to acquire the
specimens. Once you have that you can receive samples from any sender in any state for a period of
three years. "
.....................................................................................................................................................

So am I understanding this right, we can ship the salamanders to anyone over state lines and it's entirely the person on the receiving end's responsibility to get the permit? It doesn't say they need to prove they have it to the sender.....honesty policy?

I suspect that the sender could theoretically be prosecuted if they ship to someone who doesn't have a permit. So it would be up to the sender whether they want to demand proof or not.

Joep

Reaction score
we could advise the fish&wild/lawmakers,2 let some trade happoen,with good vet/healthcheck??

Caudata.org Survey for USFWS now available. Please help us give real data to them to fight this ban: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Caudata

I've been waiting for people with more knowledge on the subject than I to come up with some kind of template letter we can write to our congress members and what to post on the federal register. As this hasn't been done yet and I am an impatient person when I really care about an issue, I'm going to do something.

The thread on the shipping ban has become long and intricate, which is fine, but if you don't have time or are intimidated by all the technical stuff and just want to help, here is what to do.

1. comment on the federal register (link below)
2. write/email your senators (link to easily find your senators and their email addys below)
3. write/email your representatives (link to easily find your senators and their email addys below)

As far as comments on the federal register and letters to congress, I think it's not as necessary to have the most perfectly written and well thought out letter as to show numbers. I posted on the federal register so far, this isn't the greatest statement in the world but it's a start. I'm also going to write some version of this to my congresspersons next.

If you wish, peruse the comments on the long thread and pick the ones you feel most strongly about and just get your opinion noted. Numbers are crucial. We need to let them know that we are a large group of constituents and voters. Thank you.

Start here with a comment (federal register)

Click here to find your local congress members.

Find your senators

Find your representatives

If you are not sure what your four digit zip code extension is and need it to find your representative, you can find it here:
zip code + 4 lookup

If you want to post what you write, or list important points you feel should be mentioned, please write them simply and concisely and post them in this thread. Thank you.

My comment (just for example) (feel free to plagiarize, use in part or whole):

The newt- and salamander-keeping hobby is much larger than you realize. Thousands of animals are sent interstate every year and many Americans support themselves wholly or partially from these sales. These diseases are not found in the pet trade. Cutting off the pet trade would increase the pressure for wild caught specimens, which is harmful to the native populations. Furthermore, hobbyists educate the public on the front lines to care for the future of these wonderful species. Many people would know nothing about these creatures without keepers and hobbyists, and the salamander pet trade. This knee-jerk ban does not help the problem but exacerbate it. We agree with an import ban; it would be wonderful if the demands for salamanders and newts could be met within the nation by small and larger scale newt and salamander breeders. It is not right to put an end to this hobby which brings joy and knowledge to so many people. There are better solutions. This plan is not well thought out or well grounded in scientific fact. Thank you.

Feb 2nd 2016: Note from John: You can see the current list of comments here. There are 121 as I write this, over half are pro ban by the way - I've read them all. You can use them for inspiration. Also, kudos to many of our members who made good, rational arguments _and_ put their name to their comment (looking at people like Charles T!).

23matt3

Reaction score
Are there any updates on the ban? as far as a renewal date for it or if they will meet again to discuss this?

This is impacting a lot of people.

It is very frustrating. I am in Florida and have been looking for some Cynops Orientals only to find NONE in the entire state.. It's depressing almost. As soon as I got into this hobby they placed the ban.. Luckily I got a couple before I knew about the ban but unfortunately they are just females

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As things stand at the moment, it's still legal to ship eggs over state lines so you could acquire some more that way. Cynops/Hypselotriton orientalis are easy, if a bit long winded to raise, it just takes a little patients to get them through the terrestrial period right after they morph.
If it's anything like it is over here, I wouldn't hold your breath hoping the powers that be will go back on the any of the bans, however counterproductive some of them are.

Last edited:

FrogEyes

Reaction score
I don't know if there's any evidence yet of them BREEDING in the USA, but I wouldn't be surprised. I do know that initial records of the species were from Hollywood, Broward County, on the property of a large animal importer. Dozens of herp species have been recorded there, at least as random escaped individuals. I also have seen evidence or mention of them in California and one site in Alberta, Canada [where I couldn't confirm them, but the data source is reliable].

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!