Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please help!

axolotl2016

Reaction score
Is it normal for 2 day old axolotls to float at the top of the tank? I have about 200 in a 10 gallon tank. (getting them cup to stay in next week) i drained out the BBS like i did on the first feeding washed them off with water and put them in the tank. now i have babies floating at the top of the tank but when u touch them they move. Should i remove the food? and put fresh water? is this normal for them to float at the top of the water sometimes? thanks!

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Sometimes if they don't manage to eat they can ingest air which makes them float. Make sure you change the water with dechlorinated water nearly everyday.

Mine have floated on occasion, just keep the water clean, keep them well fed everyday and perhaps put something in like elodea for them to rest on/in.

axolotl2016

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the help ! they have plenty off food in there i have been leaving it in there for 12 hours and then cleaning out as much of it as i can and adding fresh water.

RupertxGiles

Reaction score
Sounds like they have air bubbles . I lost quite a few hatchlings my first clutch due to that. Fridging is youre best bet! Fridging for a few hours can be a miracle cure. Just do not leave them in the fridge more than a day as they are still really young. Good luck I hope they make it!

LSuzuki

Reaction score
I am pretty sure fridging is not appropriate for 2 day old axolotls.

Is the water you're doing the water change with dechlorinated and at the same temperature as the water you are replacing? I usually let my water "age" to get to the same temperature, and so that extra dissolved gasses (cold winter water hold more dissolved gases than warm summer water) have a chance to outgas. However, I don't know if not doing that would cause them to float.

I've raise several batches and not had them float at that age. (When they are older, I've had occasional "floaters".) Hopefully, one of the more experienced breeders has more knowledge.

RupertxGiles

Reaction score
Laura, actually Fridging for a few hours is fine :) so long as your fridge is turned up to the warmer setting, rather than the coldest settings. We breed axolotls , and have raised many clutches. This method has been tried and true, and I know other breeders who have also had success curing air bubbles this way.These air bubbles can kill baby axies , and fridging for brief amounts of time has always worked for us. Some after only 2 hours in the fridge will be back to the bottom of the container ! Since air bubbles can be a life or death situation, sometimes more extreme measures like refridgeration may be neccessary.

LSuzuki

Reaction score
OK - something new to learn. :)

But what would cause air bubbles in such young babies?

RupertxGiles

Reaction score
OK - something new to learn. :)

But what would cause air bubbles in such young babies?

The only 2 factors I have heard contribute to babies getting air bubbles are :

Not being fed often enough

Temperatures being too high

Hope this helps!

Nina Willis

Reaction score
I am not sure what causes it ( other than just swallowing the air) but i have had luck putting my floaters in plastic shoe boxes with about an inch of water. It seems to help if they can touch bottom. I did not have luck raising mine in a 10 gallon. The plastic shoe boxes are much easier to clean. I use a turkey baster to just suck the water out. Seems to be less stressful.

Nina

axolotl2016

Reaction score
Thanks everyone :D the water i use is treated and left for 24 hours in a bucket next to the tank to make sure its the same temp. the temp is about 65-68(depending on if its day or night) I am feeding BBS that are staying alive for over 12 hours but leave the food in there for 12 hours then change the water and 12 hours thru the night they have no food in there. Should i put fresh food in over night?

LSuzuki

Reaction score
... I did not have luck raising mine in a 10 gallon. The plastic shoe boxes are much easier to clean. I use a turkey baster to just suck the water out. Seems to be less stressful.

Nina

I agree - smaller containers are the way to go. My turkey baster doesn't work well for this (so the first week or so it is time consuming to do water changes), but when they are big enough, a silicone colander makes it easy to separate the babies from the old water.

LSuzuki

Reaction score
The only 2 factors I have heard contribute to babies getting air bubbles are :

Not being fed often enough

Temperatures being too high

Hope this helps!

That may explain why I haven't seen them floating at this age ... My basement is pretty cool this time of year. And I only saw floaters in the older ones before I started using black worms. (Before black worms, they didn't have a constant food supply, since I didn't want pellets fouling the water.)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!