Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank change - how to set up the water ?

divane

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had my axolotl for over a year.

I've bought a bigger tank (120l) , my axolotl is getting to the 26-27 cm length and the 60x30 cm sized tank she's in now is a bit small for her. I've spent the past 3 weeks setting up the tank to get ready for her move (I've just yet not had the time to actually transfer her over). I've been busy at work with no time to check the new tank, I've found this morning the tank filled with white stuff in fairly largish amounts ( fungus looking > I can never get rid of this stuff ).

I haven't confirmed if it's fungus yet, but considering I did transfer a bucket of water from her current tank (I've read in a forum it's important to transfer some current tank water, and there hasn't been much fungus in a while) to the new one there's a high chance is grown into this one.

I'm going to clean out everything and refill it up, but here's my question:

How long should the new tank water cycling process take, and do I need to transfer current tank water?

Is it possible to set up brand new water in the tank this week and just transfer her over?

Caesar

Reaction score
Check how many gallons per hour your filter cycles, it should say on the box/website. You could then see (once you put the cycled filter in the new tank) when all of the water is fully cycled. [ I would probably double that time to make sure it all goes through.]
Transfer your ornaments over too because they also carry beneficial bacteria!

Make sure the water is not chlorinated, because if it is it could kill your good colony of bacteria. I think you should be fine at that point. The water does not contain much of the bacteria, and that is the only thing you are not going to be transferring over.
This is a little helpful,
Good Bacteria: The Aquarium Water Gold Standard
"Dropping a piece of used filter pad into a new filter box helps establish a colony of good aquarium bacteria in a new tank."

Check to see what others think! -oh yeah & don't leave your filter cartridge out of tank water for too long

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!