Question: Clearing persistently cloudy axolotl tank

ValerieH

Reaction score
Country
United States
My bog axo tank has been persistently cloudy for months, defying my efforts to clear it (water and filter changes). It is a milkiness, not green, so I'm thinking bacterial. A plus is that I have copepods living in the tank (free baby axo food). A minus is that I can barely see my axolotls. I am considering using API Accu-Clear, a flocculant, to clear the tank, something I ordinarily wouldn't do. Is this stuff safe for axolotls? What about tje copepods, snails are plants? I also looked into diatom filters, but they are pricey. Any other ideas? Has this happened to me anyone else?

That should read 'big' (75G), not 'bog'. The filter is a Penn-Plax Cascade 1000. I use Holtfreter's and a chiller.

Can you attach a photo? It does sound like a bacterial bloom but these usually clear with time and water changes. I don't think any of the water clearing additives are any good to use with axolotls from what I've read.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back