Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My tiger salamander stopped eating - help

voyager156

Reaction score
I have male Tiger Salamander (Ambystoma tigrinum) for about 2 months now. I tried feeding him with earthworms - but he didn't want to eat them at all.

Earthworms were bought online. In one package there where really big ones - he didn't even try to eat them (just too big for him I think). So I ordered new ones (smaller) but he just spat them; like they were not tasty or gross.

So I ended up feeding him mostly with mealworms and superworms (I always crush superworms head - before feeding them to a salamander).

But lately, he doesn't want to eat... Yesterday I tried to give him some mealworms, but he only ate 3 of them - I stood there for over a half-hour. After that, he was looking at food & was interested - but wasn't eating.

I am afraid that something is wrong with him. I'm really worried... Please help! I can upload some pictures if needed.

voyager156

Reaction score
Previously I have to dig him up to feed him. But for some time now he is (most of the time) visible - eg. his head is protruding from the substrate.

Ps. I tried to edit the post above and insert this text there - but I don't know how... So I write this as a separate post.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!