Triturus macedonicus

gp

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Graeme Phillips
Ok, this post is exploratory more than anything and to satisfy my curiosity. Is anyone keeping Triturus macedonicus in the hobby at the moment? The cristatus superspecies is pretty close to my heart (as anyone who's read any of my other posts will know) and I've been offered some eggs the next time spring comes around. I suspect this may be a first, certainly in England, but if not I'd be interested in hearing other peoples experiences/opinions.

I don´t personally know of anyone in the uk maitaining confirmed T.macedonicus, but i´m sure there are.
Gunter Schultschik breeds and sells carnifex, but at least some of his animals seem to be what is now considered macedonicus(i obviously have never seen all of his breeding adults). If you check the pictures, one of the males under "carnifex" looks very macedonicus to me(third pic). Since he is a very successful breeder and has a good reputation, a lot of people acquire animals from him....so they might be more extended than we might think. Hopefully he is not mixing the bloodlines...

Thanks Azhael. That pic certainly looks alot like T.macedonicus. Although, their morphology is by far the most variable of all the cristatus superspecies, which only serves to confuse things!

Last edited:
It certainly seems that they aren't. I only know of one person doing it intentionally. As Azhael says, I'm sure there's many in the hobby under the tag carnifex. I'm quite excited about potentially helping to bring the species into the hobby!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back