Question: How much to feed my hatchlings

ky4nn4

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My axolotl eggs are 3 days old, and I'm in a panic preparing for their hatching.
I want to have everything ready and organized to prevent the stress on both myself and the babies.
On that note, I have informed myself about BBS hatcheries and such, but they never really tell you how much to feed the baby axies themselves. Or how much brine shrimp eggs you should acquire from hatching-bloodworms.

So, if anyone could give me a rough idea on how much to feed the hatchlings, and how many brine shrimp eggs I should acquire from now until I no longer need brine shrimp, that would be awesome!

I've read that you go through roughly a half tea spoon of eggs every 2 days, but I only have a medium sized vile of eggs right now, should I purchase more?

I learned that there is a reason why there is no exact amount of feeding for hatchlings. Its really trial and error.

But a few points you should know.
Id use more bbs eggs for the "first batch" first so you know how much/if any hatch.
The reason why i say this though is because what i found worked beautifully is everyday when i harvested my bbs, i didnt get rid of that dirty water, i just left it and replenished it with more water/salt/ a little bit more eggs. You use more that first batch so that for everyday onwards you are only adding a little bit.
I dont know if that makes any sense!

Also remember you can refridgerate unused bbs(keep it in its brine solution instead of "rinsed" bbs)
Now i read online you could keep bbs for up to 3days in the fridge. I dont know if i was doing something wrong but i only got max 36hours.

So every 24hours id harvest more shrimp and i always had an abudance of it for them. Plus one extra meal just in case one batch didnt hatch at all.

It all depends too on how many hatchlings you have. I had 30 and i went through two of those vials in 4weeks before i started them on bloodworms.
Really you need to see how much they eat first and go from there. They should always have food to eat. I was able to keep the bbs alive with the babies for 12hours so it worked nice :)

How many axies are you hatching? That's really dependent on how many brine shrimp you hatch. With my 10, I went through 3/4 a teaspoon a day. I used decapsulated hatching shrimp. Worked great, no need to separate unhatched eggs.

Yes, get more. You'll run out at the worst time (5pm Saturday night), and will be in a panic to restock. Don't buy in bulk though. You want the freshest eggs possible, so just keep ahead, rather than having a ton on hand.

I tend to use brine shrimp for the first few days, and I suppose I put in a similar amount to the previous replies. However, I tend to switch to daphnia at about 5 or 6 days as I find I can keep a culture going easily outside in a large old sink topped up with 'green water' from my pond a couple of times a week. Once the legs start to develop they get bloodworms too until big enough and developed enough to start them on pellets. However, I live in northern England so perhaps it is too warm for daphnia where you are?

I tend to agree with LindaW, i found brineshrimp too much hassle and time consuming, cleaning the uneaten ones out and making sure you dont put too much salt in, then make sure you always have enough hatched to feed them.
Daphnia on the other hand are easy and will just swim about until they are eaten, i found on ebay a person who stocks "dwarf" daphnia and they were all super small and perfect for the newly hatched axies, when they got bigger i moved them onto regular daphnia :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back