Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What Genotype Are These Cuties?!?

ky4nn4

Reaction score
I have 303 of these hatchlings, the father a leucistic and mother a golden albino.
Absolutley every single baby has the dark eyes-not albino..ad they ALL are this yellow with dark speckles.
To me, they don't seem to be quite leucistic or quite wild. They're almost a month old and 1 inch long with their arms grown in and legs just starting to.

tumblr_mnkx1qUp6b1qa9qwgo1_500.png

Xoloto

Reaction score
They look like what mine looked like at that size :) these little ones will be wildtypes or at least from what I know,you'll see them change quite a bit once their backlegs are in .

before mine grew their front limbs they looked like speckled leucistics but then grew more colour and spots but one of them stayed white with some spots but then lost the spots as it grew and the two wildtypes also are unique to each other as one is darker but before they looked identical lol :D

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They're all wildtypes, A/a, D/d.

Here's why: the father is A/A (non-albino), d/d (white). The mother is a/a (albino), D/D (not white). Since all of the offspring are dark, we can assume the father is not a carrier of albinism, and the mother does not carry leucism.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Iridophores are normal and common on wildtypes.

These guys look very typical of juvenile wildtypes. I see nothing that would make me think otherwise.

ky4nn4

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks so much, I wasn't sure. A lot of them have been losing their spots while others stay dark - it's kind of weird considering the genetics say they're all supposed to be wild. Here, I'll show you.

tumblr_mny2g34BYC1qa9qwgo1_500.png

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!