Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Red and dying help

Lucky10v3

Reaction score
I am not even sure were to begin, my axos have been getting red a lot so i did water changes and the red wont go away. there were bumps that looked maybe like blisters as well as white patches that appear as if they are shedding but the parameters of the tank is fine. i recently made a divider as i had 2 female and 1 male. one of my females have dies and i dont know why. i also recently added black sand i have read that people use sand blasting sand so that is what it is. i have had this tank up and running for almost a year. i recently did a major clean and rearranged things which may have taken away some of the good bacteria. i have also used a lil "Genchem No Planaria 50g Rid of Planaria Hydra Safe For Shrimps And Plants" but that should have been removed with all the water changes i have done. they were in a 40 gal long that has a 40-60 gal filter and another 120 gal filter. the 120 filter was added with the new changes/ cleaning. since my albino female passed :'( i have removed them from the tank completely. I have been using Aquasafe water conditioner in the tank. They are in a 5 gal bucket with “Tetrafauna Aquasafe*Water*Conditioner*For Reptiles And Amphibians” but they are still really red and veiny. I am not sure what to do but I don’t wanna lose them. And I don’t have accuess to a vet.

Attachments

• IMG_20160502_150158.jpg
    IMG_20160502_150158.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,319
  • IMG_20160502_150243.jpg
    IMG_20160502_150243.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 682
  • IMG_20160502_150027.jpg
    IMG_20160502_150027.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 628
  • IMG_20160502_150238.jpg
    IMG_20160502_150238.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 2,200

SammyTheLotus

Reaction score
When I first read this post, the description of your axolotls sounded like ammonia burn.. But looking at your parameters, your nitrates are extremely high.. You're going to have to do a water change to get them down to at least a 20, a large water change of about 80% should get them down to a healthy level.
Please keep us updated because your little guys don't look very well! :(

Lucky10v3

Reaction score
When I read the book it said the nitrate shout b about 40. Is that right?

Lucky10v3

Reaction score
I have had them about a yr n now I am losing them :'( any time I noticed they we're stressed I did water changes but it seemed the more I did it seemed the worse they got. Could it have been the water conditioner?

SammyTheLotus

Reaction score
I have had them about a yr n now I am losing them :'( any time I noticed they we're stressed I did water changes but it seemed the more I did it seemed the worse they got. Could it have been the water conditioner?

What brand of water conditioner did you use and how much each time? A lot of us here use Prime but it's extremely concentrated so you only need a small amount for every water change.. Were you exact in your amounts or were you estimating?

Lucky10v3

Reaction score
I never used more than 20 ml and I do about 80% water changes.

Attachments

• 1462304138457-1768425639.jpg
    1462304138457-1768425639.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 524

Lucky10v3

Reaction score
Water temp about 65 c. He is choosing to float now is that OK? He can go to the bottom and stay there but he ain't. Photo update

Attachments

• 1462305580685-1768425639.jpg
    1462305580685-1768425639.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 718

SammyTheLotus

Reaction score
Water temp about 65 c. He is choosing to float now is that OK? He can go to the bottom and stay there but he ain't. Photo update

It sounds like you're doing everything right, I'm really stumped as to what could be wrong with this little guy.. :(
Has he been eating normally? What's his diet consist of?

Donna001

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that your wild type has passed.
I think it's possible that the problem is being caused by a bacterial infection which is carried by the blood, similar to the "red leg" described in this article under the bacteria & fungus section Axolotls - Health & Diseases
If this is the case I think it requires vet help and I'm not sure if there is anything that you can do at home to help your leucistic.
Hopefully one of the more experienced keepers will be able to give better advice, but I would be looking for a vet if I were in your situation, Herp Veterinarians
Sorry I can't give more positive news.

Lucky10v3

Reaction score
He pooped but won't eat yet. I am changing his water everyday but he is still red like in the pics. I think the females were weak from laying eggs too young not even 2 months ago(was an accident, didn't separate them soon enough). But he does seem to be more wiggley. So hope he keeps improving even if it is slow.

Donna001

Reaction score
Best of luck with your little fella, I hope that he starts eating son and makes a full recovery.
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for both of you.
Please keep us posted on progress.

texa

Reaction score
From the picture it looks very similar to my axolotl when he contracted septicaemia. I'd get him to a vet ASAP for antibiotics. I hope I'm wrong and it isn't, but if it is a vet is your only option. Let us know how it goes.

Reaction score
Is 65 c a typo? Are you meaning 65 degrees Fahrenheit? While 40ppm on nitrates is not ideal, I don't think that is the root of the problem you are dealing with.

From your recent pics, I think you will have to rush your axolotl to a vet to try to save him.

Lucky10v3

Reaction score
He is still alive but still red and not eating. Should I fridge him since he ain't eating? He is still wanting to float but if he is messed with he will swim to the bottom. He was quite wiggly when I changed his water today. I don't have the funds to take him to a special vet 2 hrs away. If it was the blood thing wouldn't he have passed away already? I have had them over a year n I love watching them. This is so devastating. Does this happen a lot? I don't want to get more if this is common. I don't even know how this could have happened.

SammyTheLotus

Reaction score
He is still alive but still red and not eating. Should I fridge him since he ain't eating? He is still wanting to float but if he is messed with he will swim to the bottom. He was quite wiggly when I changed his water today. I don't have the funds to take him to a special vet 2 hrs away. If it was the blood thing wouldn't he have passed away already? I have had them over a year n I love watching them. This is so devastating. Does this happen a lot? I don't want to get more if this is common. I don't even know how this could have happened.

Maybe you should try to get the funds to take him to the vet, the poor animal is obviously suffering from some kind of problem and leaving him to be in pain is nothing short of cruel in my opinion.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!