Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotly may be dying please help :(

spyrolotl

Reaction score
Hi just wondering if anyone can give me any advice, I've got 3 axolotls and have had 2 for over a year with no problems. Got a new one a few months ago its still young and tiny but it's in a separate tank alone with no sharp objects and I woke up today to find it really pale, no colour in the gills whatsover and an open wound on its stomach. I have no way of taking it to a vets as there isn't one where I live and I don't drive and nobody will take me :( I've put it in the fridge because I don't know what else to do. I would really appreciate any advice because I'm terrified that it's going to die it's looking awful at the minute and of course I will do anything I can to prevent it from dying :(

Colleen French

Reaction score
Hi I have 17 seven month old Northwestern Salamanders. I was wondering why you put your sick baby in fridge? I am wondering if it wants to transition to terrestrial for winter. All of mine literally became totally air breathing within a few days they suddenly refused frozen blood worm and began to gulp down halved small earthworms which are alive. If there is a sore on the stomach perhaps there is an irritant in its environment have you got soft moss etc to offer so that the salamander can transition onto land? but still crawl into water too? :confused::eek:You report that its gills have no colour My Oxolotls had feathery read coloured gills. What specie is your baby? I will follow your situation and let you know if I think of anything.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!