The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

Old 10th December 2007   #1
Natalie
(Natalie Spencer)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Natalie Spencer has started on the right path
Default Eggs after 10 years!

Hi,
The last old axie from my original lot died recently after 10 years of life.
I now have an adult male and female left.
In all those years of keeping axies, I have never had any lay eggs.....until this morning!
The female has laid roughly about 50 and has a belly full of eggs by the looks of it.
I DON'T WANT TO BREED THEM RIGHT NOW! So I am not sure exactly what to do.....
I have read many posts about it on this forum and I still have a few questions....so please be patient.

If I leave the eggs in the tank with the parents, will they eat the eggs?

Will they eat all the eggs?

If the eggs hatch can I then leave the parents to dispose of their young?

As an alternative I presume that I could siphon out all the eggs and put them on the compost heap in the garden!

I want there to be as little human interuption as possible.
If I just left the eggs, would nature just take it's course?

Would uneaten eggs rot and foul the tank?
If so, how quickly?

Any advice appreciated!
Natalie

Natalie Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007   #2
Karrie Clinton
(kclinton)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: kclinton has shown reliable knowledgekclinton has shown reliable knowledge

Yes the parents will eat the eggs/young. Natural food.

kclinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007   #3
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

I have seen my axolotl eat the eggs, when they hatch the larvae will gradually disappear . If they have hatched you would best remove the egg sac otherwise it'll breakdown and probably pollute the water. If you have an internal filter you may need to give it a bit of a clean as my axolotl love to challenge me by making things awkward..the eggs get sucked in.....the larvae hatch..
The alternative as you suggest is just bite the buillet and remove them from the tank in a day7 or two and chuck on the compost heap.

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007   #4
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Right. The adults won't necessarily eat every last one, and some may end up in the filter, depending on the type of filter you have.

Putting them on the compost heap seems like a reasonable thing to do. The only other alternative offhand would be to offer them to someone locally to raise. Schools are often very interested in getting amphibian eggs for the classroom, for example.

Tags
eggs, years