The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 7th July 2013   #1
Preston
(Newtontrick916)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Newtontrick916 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation I'm a desperate person. Please help!

Ok, for the past year I have owned a Chinese Fire-belly newt named Newton, yet she is a girl . Well I have a nice tank for her with a bridge to hind under, leaves to climb on, and a filter that hardly makes ripples in the water. Now my problem....SHE WILL NOT EAT. In the year I have had her, I have seen her eat one live earthworm, and two tweezers of frozen (thawed out) bloodworms. She is very small (to me) and she hardly ever moves. I never pick her up as I heard it stresses them out, and I keep the (spring) water temperature in the mid to lower 60's when I can. And she hardly every gets in the water. She just sits under her bridge all day and night. Anytime she does get out and wonder, I try to feed her and she just backs up when I hold something in front of her nose. Please help me as I feel I am somehow to blame for her not eating or being comfortable.

Newtontrick916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013   #2
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Re: I'm a desperate person. Please help!

I've heard of newts living a long time without eating, but this is rather incredible.

You have seen her eat on occasion, so you just have to keep trying with those things that have worked. Keep digging up small earthworms (that's your best bet). Keep trying with the frozen bloodworms. You could also get some pinhead crickets, but that might just further delay her acceptance of hand-feeding.

You could also try putting small pieces of still-wiggling earthworms near her, then go away and see if she eats when you aren't hovering over her. There is hardly any caudate in the world that could resist eating a wiggling piece of worm when no one is looking!

Old 8th July 2013   #3
Erinony

Nationality:
Rep: Erinony is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there
I just went through a problem with my T. Granulosa not eating for over a month. He was starting to deteriorate and I tried everything. Finally, I left some waxworms crawling on some floating items in his tank, and on top of his cave that sticks out of the water, and he went and ate them by himself. These waxworms saved his life. I suggest that you keep trying, and try different food. My newt lived on pellets for 16 years then one day just decided he would not eat them anymore. Don't give up, I almost did but then finally he ate. It could all turn out well. Also, if you ever leave food in his tank he could possibly get a little bit and you don't notice. I don't see it being very possible to live for a year with so little food. Good luck.

Erinony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013   #4
alex
(alexps)

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: alexps is an unknown quantity at this point

HI I wonder if getting another newt would make her eat seeing another newt eat might spur her on good luck

alexps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013   #5
Preston
(Newtontrick916)

Nationality:

Guys thank you so much for the replies. I am really worried because she is just too cute to die. Alexps: funny thing about that, I tried to buy another one from a online sight. However they ended up sending me an Eastern Spotted. However, she died within a month. If you can think of a place to buy more, or a different source of food, please keep posting.

Old 17th July 2013   #6
Preston
(Newtontrick916)

Nationality:

Just checking in. Newton has eating live earthworms for almost a week straight. If anyone can give me any ideas of spicing up her diet it would be fine. However, I will change NOTHING until she is showing lack of interest. Thank you all again!

Old 6th August 2013   #7
Aeon
(AeonMapa)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AeonMapa has given good advice and informationAeonMapa has given good advice and informationAeonMapa has given good advice and information

You might try putting a few live tubifex worms in the tank.. I had a newt that wouldn't eat for sometime, or so I thought. Although he woudnt accept food offered to him, I caught him hunting for some of the leftover worms in the tank. Try leaving a tiny amount (too many will foul the water quickly!) In a small bottle cap "dish" so they dont get away. Leave them in the tank and check on them the next day, hopefully they'll be gone :)

AeonMapa is offline   Reply With Quote