I found this remedy on yahoo answers I'm not sure if it's a safe one for axolotls even though it sounds extremely useful.

AxoNSX5

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
"I have noticed my Water Dragon (axolotl) is floating around on top of the tank. Is there a problem? "

This behavior should not be a problem; most times it is just normal behavior for a Water Dragon (Axolotl). However, if your axolotl is struggling to reach the bottom of the tank, then you may have a medical problem. Simply put; this is a blockage of your Water Dragon digestion track. When your Water Dragon adds air to its digestion track then you will have positive buoyancy. If your Water Dragon struggle to get to the bottom of the tank then you need to treat for your Water Dragon. There is a simple but effective way for treatment for this condition. You can either use a laxative or a stool softener. First you need to liquefy either the laxative or the stool softener, the best way to do this is to use a pan on top of a stove add 3 to 4 times water to liquefy the laxative or stool softener. I would recommend that you make more then you need so that it will be available if condition ever happens again. After your laxative or stool softeners has liquefied then pour it in to a glass jar and let it cool. You can shake the jar so that it will produce foam on top of the jar. Use 4 to 5 spoonfuls of foam in a 2 1/2 gallon sick tank. Usually you will see positive results within 2 to 3 days.

Sounds fishy. Human (or even fish) medication isn't usually appropriate for amphibians.

I've heard anecdotal evidence of peas causing an increase in bowel movements, but mostly we recommend fridging. It's basically foolproof, and you're not feeding your axolotl something that may potentially be harmful.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back