Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Frustrated about substrate

ElaineCheeko104

Reaction score
I purchased top soil at Home Depot. The ingredients for the top soil read: Forest Wood Product, compost and sandy loom. It was the only soil that didn't contain peat, perlite or fertilizers.
I mixed the soil with one brick of eco earth.
I was informed that I could not use my substrate mixture because of the wood pieces.
My only option is to sift out the wood chips or give up and throw everything away.

Attachments

• 15057751874911347826419.jpg
    15057751874911347826419.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 162

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would only worry about the wood if it had sharp edges? What is the species you want to use it for? I have had substrate with larger pieces of wood in there and it seems OK, esp if they are moist, they break down. Maybe try crumbling them some? Breaking them up somehow?

ElaineCheeko104

Reaction score
Sorry that I didn't reply sooner. I have an apartment inspection and was working on cleaning walls and lights.
I was thinking about a tiger or mole salamander.
I also sifted some just in case the wood pieces would effect him.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1