Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Im new to firebellies and I need help

V

vanessa

Im a new firebelly owner, Ive never owned a toad or frog of any kind, only 2newts a few years back. Ive done alot of research and have presented my toad food in different ways, (both wet, dry, different areas of his tank, etc.) he just wont eat anything. He is still very active, Im just worried about his health if he doesnt start eating soon.
Ive had him for a week, but he became very active once settled in his new home after a day. I also have not heard any singing, so Im assuming he is either quiet or a female...I only have one, so I cannot compare the arm size to another, likewise the roughness of the skin, is there any other way to tell?

E

edward

What is the temperature in the tank? What are you offering it for food?

The fact that it hasn't been calling has no bearing on the sex as the males only call after they have been cycled and conditions are correct.

Ed

han

Reaction score
.....lighting? size of water-part? hiding-spots?
sexing Bombina isn't that difficult, but the toad
must be well-fed and at least a year old. The skinny bags of bones sold at pet-shops all look the same.
Han.

V

vanessa

its about 77degrees, and 80%humid, 50/50 water land, though he perfers to be climbing and hiding, plenty of spots to hide also. Ive offered, frog bites, baby shrimp(suggested by a herpt.), and baby crickets. Ive heard that some frogs/toads have to be taught to hunt their food by putting them in a separate tank for feeding so they get used to this, Im going to to try this next since nothing else is working.

E

edward

Until you develop a feeding response strong enough that the toad will take items from tweezers, it will not take nonliving/nonmoving food items. If the shrimp are alive in the water then it may not be able to locate and/or capture the food item. In addition, when you mean baby crickets what is the size of the cricket? True baby crickets (pinheads) are way too small for a adult FBT and may be too small to elicit a feeding response and if are left running around in the cage may be stressing the toad.
If the toad is continually attempting to climb this this may be a indicator of severe stress and the toad will not eat if it is that stressed.
Typically FBTs do not need to be moved to another container "to learn to feed" (and most anurans do not need to be either although some people feed them this way to ensure that a specific animal is feeding) and the handling will further stress the animal.

Around 77 F is not really helpful as it doesn't indicate the swings in the temperature (as around could be 85 F at one point in the day and 65 at another point at night).

I tend to keep my FBTs much cooler with a summer high around 75 F and a winter low as cool as 55 F.

Ed

han

Reaction score
Hi
When tank-conditions are ok, healthy Bombina are
voracious feeders and they'll hunt and eat almost any offered food-item as long as it moves and fit their mouths. You don't have to teach them how to hunt.They know.
Proper tank-conditions are (IMO):

- 75% water, 25% "land".

- a good water-quality (filtration-system); lots of floating water-plants.

- day-temp water 68F to 72F; air-temp slightly higher; night-temps 60F to 64F.

- as much light as possible, there's never enough; Bombina needs a LOT to flourish;8 hours a day during winter-period up to 14 hours a day during summer; use fluorescent tubes to avoid heat.

- as much ventilation as possible through front-, back-side and top-screens.

- enough places to hide, submerged, half-submerged and dry.

- enough dry places where the toads can spot the food-items (before they drown or crawl under)Bombina will not hunt/feed underwater.

- proper food like earthworms, slugs, moths, spiders, flies, occassional cricket or waxworm

Good luck.
Han.

V

vanessa

Thanks for all the help... Im happy to report he decided to eat and seems more content
frog.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!