Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My toads are acting werid..

C

crystal

I just upgraded my tank to a bigger tank (not sure how many gallons,but id say around 10-20 gallons).I had my two toads for over a year now in a 3 gallon tank with no filter..odd that they survived!For x-mas I got another toad (a baby) and a new bigger tank for my toads.So now I have my three toads in this tank.But for some reason,my two adult toads are acting very werid.They used to be VERY active,never hid in there cave or ANYTHING and was always swimming.But in there new tank (25% land and 75% water) they seem to be sitting on land all the time and hiding in the cave with the baby
sick.gif
I can understand why the baby is hiding all the time,shes new but my ADULTS hiding and like never swimming? NO WAY! This is VERY odd!Why are they doing this to me?Im getting scared because its not like them!The water is almost 4 inches and is filtered.It has plants and stuff that they can grap onto while trying to swim.The land has moss and a cave.I hand feed my toads,they all seem to be eating.Will my toads ever be active agian or are they just in a bigger tank and a bit scared?Please answer!

pollywog

Reaction score
Hi Crystal,
When you moved them to their new tank did you move the tank to a different location in the house?
You say they now have a filter, does the filter make much of a current in the water?

C

crystal

In the small tank,I kept it in my room on a tall dresser beside my bed.But the bigger tank was a too big to go on top of the dresser,so I put it on a big fat and short dresser in my room.So yes,they ARE in the same room but there a bit closer to the ground and are viewing my room in a different angle.But I dont think this has any effect on my toads because I moved there small tank around ALOT,even to a different house and they seemed to be having a ball as usual.

The filter is pretty powerful,it does make a current but not enough to make waves,just a very small current.Its a filter with suction cups so you can stick it on the side of the tank.Its hooked up to a water tube which goes out of the tank and on to a motor.The motor is pluged in behide the dresser.

(Message edited by darkend_shadow2 on December 31, 2004)

C

chris

They may well simply be scared due to a radical change in their environment, physically that is.
Chris

C

crystal

GOOD NEWS!Today I saw my two adult toads in the water!EVEN MY BABY WAS IN THE WATER!They were going under the water and playing in it!

hours later:All three of them are still in the water!

Time to go to bed:there STILL in the water!

Anyways,thanks for helping me out with this Yes they must have been scared after all
happy.gif
(right now there in the water!)

(Message edited by darkend_shadow2 on December 31, 2004)

J

jamie

We have two firebelly toads and one of the toads is looking strange. There is a lump on the rear of the toad and a clear sack of some kind coming out of one of the toads. My son said he saw one of the toads on top of the other a few days before hand. I am trying to get a picture of what an egg sack looks like. The toad has not tryed to lay the sack on any of the plants. It is still in the water, kind of hanging out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1