Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Water current stress.

Joyfulpants

Reaction score
I'm wondering how long an axolotl can cope with the stress of a filter that seems a little too powerful for the tank size. I'm going to get my little one a bigger tank as soon as I can afford it, but that won't be for another five days as I'm literally living on $27 until then. I adopted her from an online trading site and judging by the state of the equipment and the fact that I've had to replace absolutely everything she came with (something I didn't anticipate and sent me broke for now), I think she was a bit on the neglected side of the tracks.

So can anybody help me with what to do to relieve her stress in the mean time? Her gill frills are curling forward and she's spending almost all of her time hiding under the filter in what I've interpreted as an attempt to escape the current. Should I just turn it off for a little while here and there, or would that only make life more stressful for her? I've tried it a couple of times and her gills relaxed back to normal and she started strolling around a bit more, but she was also swimming up for air more often (obviously).

hacelepues

Reaction score
Just don't use the filter. She will be fine without it for a week. Some people don't even keep their axies with filters, but that requires more water changes.

Just put the filter media sponge in the tank (assuming that it's an old sponge) to prevent ammonia spikes, monitor the levels and do any necessary water changes.

Once you have more money, I recommend you buy a sponge filter. They are super cheap and ideal for axolotls!

I have a 40 gallon rated sponge filter in my 30 gallon tank, and I only spent $20.00 on it (versus the 50-100 dollars you'd spend on a HOB or canister filter). I've been using it for 2 months.

Not only are my axies noticeably happier (judging by how they explore all of the tank now and never hide from any flow), but their gills have grown just over 1/8 of an inch! And they're still noticeably growing! Water quality has been great too. I wish I had started using one much sooner!

Last edited:

KingCam

Reaction score
I would encourage you to use the search function next time. There are many many threads that go over acceptable filtration methods used for axolotls to prevent too much water movement.

usethesearch.png

hacelepues

Reaction score
I would encourage you to use the search function next time. There are many many threads that go over acceptable filtration methods used for axolotls to prevent too much water movement.

usethesearch.png

Meh, he's living off of twenty bucks this week. I'd give him a break.

ilomilo

Reaction score

usethesearch.png

This is the second time you've posted this picture with a snarky comment about using the search function. In the time it took to do this you could have answered the question and avoided being rude to a member with a legitimate question.

Sure, it's been gone over and answered more than a few times, but that's the point of a forum, right? There are only so many potential questions or topics people are going to have/post on a limited subject like axolotls, so lighten up.

If you're tired of the redundancy, don't reply. Being rude and making people feel unwelcome or foolish for asking questions will only make them less likely to ask questions later. This will lead to more mistakes being made.

Thanks a whole bunch, chief.

KingCam

Reaction score
This is the second time you've posted this picture with a snarky comment about using the search function. In the time it took to do this you could have answered the question and avoided being rude to a member with a legitimate question.

Sure, it's been gone over and answered more than a few times, but that's the point of a forum, right? There are only so many potential questions or topics people are going to have/post on a limited subject like axolotls, so lighten up.

If you're tired of the redundancy, don't reply. Being rude and making people feel unwelcome or foolish for asking questions will only make them less likely to ask questions later. This will lead to more mistakes being made.

Thanks a whole bunch, chief.

Chill out, fella. I need to lighten up? How does it get any lighter than a meme based on a south park episode?

Anyway, I didn't provide any information because the question had already been answered sufficiently. In the other thread where I used this image I provided links to two or three helpful threads and an article on cc.

You assert that the point of a forum is for people to ask the same questions over and over. I have to disagree. If you'd like to discuss it further you can meet me in chat some time or send me a PM.

Ps. How was your comment any more helpful than mine? Seems like it would have been better suited as a PM, as it added nothing to this topic.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Tapatalk 2 :)

Joyfulpants

Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed reply. I started writing it and left and forgot about it, thinking I'd posted. I've been a bit frazzled lately to say the least.

Thanks heaps. I've kept the filter off and she's looking more relaxed. She's still hiding under the filter to keep herself on the ground because she's been a bit bouyant since yesterday. The girl I got her from was keeping her on pebbles and she'd swallowed heaps and they're just starting to make their way out. Twenty so far. I hope that's the last of them but I have a feeling there's more to come. I've done a lot of googly searching and I've tried to get educated on all the topics but I couldn't seem to find anything on what to do with a strong filter so I signed up here. Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my search language. Or maybe it was my comprehension. Sometimes I suck with comprehension.

But yes, thank you for your help.
And Cybill thanks you too, even if she doesn't know it.

KingCam

Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed reply. I started writing it and left and forgot about it, thinking I'd posted. I've been a bit frazzled lately to say the least.

Thanks heaps. I've kept the filter off and she's looking more relaxed. She's still hiding under the filter to keep herself on the ground because she's been a bit bouyant since yesterday. The girl I got her from was keeping her on pebbles and she'd swallowed heaps and they're just starting to make their way out. Twenty so far. I hope that's the last of them but I have a feeling there's more to come. I've done a lot of googly searching and I've tried to get educated on all the topics but I couldn't seem to find anything on what to do with a strong filter so I signed up here. Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my search language. Or maybe it was my comprehension. Sometimes I suck with comprehension.

But yes, thank you for your help.
And Cybill thanks you too, even if she doesn't know it.

Aw, I'm sorry to hear about the pebbles, at least they haven't caused impaction yet. Keep a close eye on your animal, because that could be a potentially serious situation.

I wish you the best of luck!

ps. The southpark thing was supposed to be a light hearted "haha" type of thing. Apparently some people took offense to it. Sorry if I offended you. Also, kudos on doing a search first. Search terms can be tricky sometimes :p

hacelepues

Reaction score
Glad to hear she's happier! Be sure to keep up with water changes :)

If you notice she's floating or struggling a little too much, I'd consider fridging her to help her pass any remaining pebbles. Poor girl.

Joyfulpants

Reaction score
I've had her in the fridge for four days now and she has since pooped out eleven more pebbles. That's thirty one in total. Her tummy is so much smaller than when I got her. I don't understand how she managed fit them all in and still be fully interested in food. I'm going to keep her in the fridge for another couple of days to see if any more come out and then I'll test out in her tank. Thankings for the super advice!

hacelepues

Reaction score
I've had her in the fridge for four days now and she has since pooped out eleven more pebbles. That's thirty one in total. Her tummy is so much smaller than when I got her. I don't understand how she managed fit them all in and still be fully interested in food. I'm going to keep her in the fridge for another couple of days to see if any more come out and then I'll test out in her tank. Thankings for the super advice!

31?!?!?! That makes me so sad. Definitely wait and see if she has any more before returning her to the tank.

I'd wait 1-2 days after the last pebble, feed her (you might have to let her warm up a little if she's reluctant to eat), then wait for the next poo to be SURE that they're all gone.

What a little trooper! Do you have any pictures?

Joyfulpants

Reaction score
She's only pooping normal poop now so I'm going to try her out back in the tank tonight. 31 is completely ridiculous and I'm utterly appalled by her previous owner. I'm so glad I adopted her when I did or she mightn't have had a chance. I really hope I can give her a good life.

I only have one quality photo of her so far, from the day after I brought her home. The other two are more recent. I had to take them from my blog so the file would be smaller. Let's see if this uploading business works.

By the way, I love your axolotls' names. Truly brilliant!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-20 at 7.22.29 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-09-20 at 7.22.29 PM.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 1,107
  • Screen Shot 2012-09-20 at 7.23.00 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-09-20 at 7.23.00 PM.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 965
  • Screen Shot 2012-09-20 at 7.23.15 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-09-20 at 7.23.15 PM.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 2,952

hacelepues

Reaction score
Aw she must feel so much better! It looks like she's found a good home :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!