Cats mangled my axolotls

C

christy

So, just how badly can they be injured and still recover? I've seen them regenerate tail tips and even entire feet, so I know they can do a lot. The damage that my cats did has me very very worried though. The female isn't as badly injured as they male, but she has some pretty bad abrasions and hemorrhages. The male on the other hand...oh, boy. His entire body is shredded from nose to tail tip. I can see muscle exposed in so many places. You know the netting that onions come in? That's what his skin looks like: tiny shreds everywhere, like someone ran a cheese grater along his back. He has a laceration at his cloaca that's about an inch long and pretty deep, missing most of his gills, and some bites that look like they could have hit the spine. I just finished cleaning the carpet and couldn't believe he'd lost that much blood and was still alive.

I usually keep them at work but had brought them home for a bit b/c the male kept chewing on the female's tail and leg, separated them into smaller containers so it would be easier for me to keep on top of water quality and aggression. I've been keeping to door to their room closed just so the cats couldn't get to them. Today, my 4 year old was home sick with my mother-in-law while I was at work. Apparently, she (my daughter) opened the door and didn't close it. I came home to find the poor things lying on the floor looking dead. Their skin was tacky, almost dry but as soon as I put them in the water they reacted. Another hour and I think they would have been to desiccated to breathe.

I called the IU axolotl colony and they recommended baytril and refrigeration. Done that. So...how do I know if they are just dormant from the cold or dead??? How long will it take to see them heal? How about aerating them while in the fridge? Do they need a bubbler in there or are they dormant enough that they don't? I tried to call them back at IU but they've gone home for the night.

thanks for any tips and success stories that you have to offer!!

anyone want 2 very playful, murderous cats???

All i can say is keep a good eye on them... and kick those cats out!!

I feel for you one of my axos is very good at the moment its very touch and go!

Sorry i cant be of much help but good luck! Me and both Spunky and Jynx have our fingers crossed.

good luck can you keep us all updated please also if you can take a thew pictures of the healing stages that would be really interesting

Im sorry to hear about your axolotls, if you cant get IU to answer their phones you should email them. As for your axies dont stress to much, i heard that they could even regrow portions of their brain. Hope they get better soon and when they do i would suggest a tank cover, a catproof one! good luck}

Christy, Noticed you didn't get much come back to your question.

What is the current status? Are they healing? Are you keeping some salt in water to help keep infection down?

I have a leucistic female who has a fetching V shaped scar on her flank. I am told that this was the result of her getting clawed by a cat when she used to be kept in a pond by her previous keepers. She healed without any attention was left in her pond.

Best of luck with them

hey id like 2 no how ur axies gt on mine seems to have a tumour in his head it would be good 2 no how good they are at recovering? good luck x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back