Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FYI: How To Build A Wormery

How Useful Is This Information & Would You use It?

• Total voters

Nemesea

Reaction score
Ok I have looked on the site to see if there is any information on building your own wormery and I can’t find one so I thought this may be handy for some to have as I have noticed people saying they can’t get worms as often as they need them ECT. Where I have the same problem so I have done a wormery to help have worms in all the time and so I know what they have been fed on and all that,

Below are links I found useful on making a wormery

This shows how to make a worm farm/wormery:
How to make a worm farm. - YouTube

What You Would Need:
4 x Plastic Boxes
1 x Lid
1 x Brick
1 x Butt Tap
A bit of Hessian or cardboard

What Tools You Would Needed:
1. Drill,
2. Drill Bit, (I used 6mm)
3. A drill bit to make a hole for the tap,
4. And a bit of sealant,

What to do:
1. First cut the hole for the tap in one of the boxes making sure it fits ok,
2. Then put sealant round the tap to make sure its water tight
3. Drill a dozen holes in the bottom of 3 of the boxes remaining (not the one with the tap on it)
4. Put the brick in the box with the tap making sure it dose not block it
5. Put a bit of soil in the second box with some worms in it
6. then stack the 3rd box on and add a bit of vegetable or worm food in and then place a piece of damp Hessian or damp cardboard over it
7. Then put the lid on the top one as at the moment only 3 boxes are used as when the vegetable waste builds up u put the spare box on top and that (he explains better in the video)

Also he says 22 liter boxes are best to use,
but mine is 24 (only size I could find with lids at the time also mine are clear plastic but black are preferred as it stops the carrot tops and that growing plus worms like the dark (mine is in the cellar where its in the dark so I don’t think they will grow lol)
he also says that its best to start off with 1000 worms for a wormery of this size (but he’s said it also depends on amount of waste food that's needed to be eaten) but I have only started off with 100 as I don’t have much waste vegetables since my other half eats it all and they are all ready reproducing.
Also he says smaller boxes work as well just that they dont hold a lot of waste in them
Also the person who did the video's dose read his comments and that so if you have any questions you can ask him

This link shows how to maintain the wormery (same wormery as the link above):
Maintaining your wormfarm. - YouTube

I hope others find this information as useful as I did

Nemesea

Reaction score
here are some pics of my wormery

Also a butt tap is a tap that attaches to a rainwater collection container, mine is on its side so it will be able to go on a flat surface and cause no pressure on the tap but it still drains the same.
Also my worms are under the hessian cloth at the min as they have moved up from the bottom box. since there is worm feed in it

Attachments

• 100_1435.jpg
    100_1435.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 636
  • 100_1436.jpg
    100_1436.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 589
  • 100_1439.jpg
    100_1439.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 598
  • 100_1440.jpg
    100_1440.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 682
  • 100_1441.jpg
    100_1441.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 544

Gena

Reaction score
Thank you very much for this. I've been lurking some time since 'rescuing' a Leucistic Axie from an owner who didn't do the basics and find out the best diet. Lottie was still on bloodworms at 2yo.
Anyway my kids have been digging worms as the garden has no treatments on it. In winter they wouldn't so I turned to pellets and frozen prawns.
However, today I add two juvenile Axies to my family, plus I already have 2 crayfish and some clown loach (and hens) who ALL adore worms so I've ordered some dendrobaena worms from eBay and plan to crack on with something like this. My hubby is a handyman so should be fab. Thanks again.

Gena

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!