Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bloodworm question

AngelMR2

Reaction score
So I have ordered some juveniles from someone on the board and in anticipation I am getting some of the pellets and frozen food so I have everything ready for them in a few weeks when they arrive.

I would like to pick up some frozen bloodworms and I am going to have to buy them from local petstores. I was curious at the different ones.

For example, Petsmart lists three types of bloodworms for in store purchase.

"Frozen Bloodworms Tropical Fish Food"
two varieties
and Red Mosquito Larvae Frozen Bloodworms Fish Food.

Does it matter if it says tropical or fish food or any of that, or what should I be looking for on the packaging to determine I am finding the right kind?

Thanks! :)

Katrinamazing

Reaction score
I've tried two different types of frozen bloodworms:
  1. San Francisco Bay frozen bloodworms - By far the superior choice, in my experience. They were soft, slimy, and wormy. Exactly the way I imagined a bloodworm should be... Perfectly gross, and my amigos love them!
  2. Omega One frozen bloodworms - Horrible texture! I am almost positive that these are actually freeze dried bloodworms frozen in a bit of water and goo... Even my Ballon Mollies (separate tank) dislike them! Mollies will still eat them, but they aren't happy about it! Hahaha

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1