Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Didn't know I had a breeding pair till now...

lmk0053

Reaction score
I bought two axolotls back in February but had no clue what the sexes were. One of them started to get pretty plump recently and we joked that he is a she and must be pregnant. Well the joke became reality on Saturday when I found hundreds of eggs in the tank. I separated out probably around 300 eggs and have them in a 10 gallon with an air stone. I was just wondering if anyone knows how many might hatch from this clutch and where I can sell/adopt out when they are ready? I'm in the St. Louis area. I already ordered some brine shrimp to grow up for when the axolotls hatch. The male is leucistic and the female is either WT or melanoid (I can't remember-she's very dark but still has spots).

Viking

Reaction score
I hatched 400 eggs last spring. It is hard to raise that many because you will need many tanks to raise that many. I would suggest you sell part of the eggs. The color depends on genetics of the dark wild one. Luecistic is a recessive trait. It would have to be ll or la to be white.a =albino l = luecistic W = wild type Wa or Wl would appear wild type. Since your female is dark all that eggs will appear dark until just before they. Lucy or albinos will appear white when they hatch.

If the couple did things right most of the eggs hatch. You will know if the eggs are good if they do not fungus. The will bean meaning the embryo is shaped like a bean instead of being round. The embryo is c shaped just before hatching with six gills visible.

Does that answer your questions?

lmk0053

Reaction score
I just have no idea where to sell them. Also, do I need to do water changes for the eggs? Even if the water is clear? If so, how often?

Viking

Reaction score
The eggs are fine if in enough water. You leave the eggs in the tank and moves parents. I like to put green water and Daphnia over the eggs. The greenwater will absorbs any ammonia which is very low. The will hatch it 2 weeks more or less depending on temp.

I like to lower water is I can sometimes the eggs are on the glass near the surface. When they newly hatched shallow water will keep the live food near the floor. They are not good swimmers for the first 2 weeks. I tend not to change the water. I keep adding water each day. In a 20 gallon tank with hornwort will greatly help with water quality. A sponge filter all helps. Of course with some many it is not the end of the world if you lose a couple. They are very hardy. My first batch of eggs I raised all 46 except 1. It was killed when siphoning water to clean the water.

Use a smaller siphon hose and Tulle cloth to prevent them being sucked up. Of course there is more one way to do this.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1