Getting the worms into the axolotls (blackworms)

S

sharyl

Hi - Have had success using cone feeders and square worm feeders -- they learn to eat from them and it buys a little time (not a lot) before all the worms are on the bottom. Also have a land reptile thing that is a worm feeder --looks like a stove with a lid--put worms in and they ooze out of the 3 holes eventually. Again, just buys a little time. If you have 2 critters, suggest using 2 feeders, cause I've seen some close calls with feet in the way. For those with gravel or sand, I put a large bowl under the feeder, and it caught the worms for a while and the axies loved to lay in it. FYI-originally had a clear pyrex bowl and that was kind of confusing to them.... I did have to train/lure them to the feeders at first (not sure but I don't think mine are rocket scientists)

We have floating cone worm feeders available here in Australia, however, I haven't tried 1 so don't know whether it would be any good to use - feeding axolotls.
http://www.aquaticlifeaquariums.com.au/
It says they're suitable for tropical fish, but I wonder if axolotls would eat worms from it. Has anyone tried using this type of worm feeder?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back