Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire salamander with worms

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I have an adult male Salamandra salamandra that is getting skinny. When I quarantined him worms showed up in his fresh water. They look like nematodes. I think I'll treat him with panacur. I'm thinking of dusting it on his back. What do you think?

E

edward

Hi Mike,
WIth Panacure you will have a much better success using it as an oral suspension.
Before you treat him, are you feeding him earthworms? If so, the worms have a high nematode population that can cause false positives as to the type and severity of the infection.
Also at least in herbivorous herps (which removes caudata here but still may be of value), some nematodes are commensuals and help with the digestion of fiberous food items.
I have seen weight loss in Salamandra kept on acidic substrates (personal observations)as the stress apparently prevented them from feeding as well as they normally would.
Ed

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Ed,
He is getting earthworms and crickets. I'd like to take him to a good amphibian vet but their are none close by. Maybe I'll just isolate him and baby him for awhile.

E

edward

Hi Mike,
Try offering a different food item than the earthworms for about two weeks and collect a fecal on paper towels and check the nematode level (if you still have your microscope). If there is still a heavy nematode load then I would discuss treatment with a vet...
Waxworms or even (gasp) pinks can be used as an occasional item to put on weight. I would recommend dusting the pink to help deal with the vitamin A ratio.
isolation and a little babying never hurts
Hope it does better soon,
Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1