Dunn's...old can of worms

J

josef

Since we're arguing about Oregon salamander ids in the last post, I figured I'd bring up a post I made a while ago in the Plethodontid forum. I posted a pic of this sal that I was somewhat perplexed by:
aneides_ss_12.jpg

aneides_ss_10.jpg

It was found on the extreme northern Oregon coast. I was told on this forum at that time it was a Clouded salamander (Aneides ferreus). However, three sources for range maps show their range cutting inland well before the North coast of oregon (Stebbins 1951, Nussbam et al. 1983, Corkran and Thoms 1983). However, Petranka does show them all the way up the coast. I'd be interested in finding out if anyone knows of documented sightings on the north coast of Oregon, perhaps a paper or personal experience. Regardless of this however, I am now convinced that this is a Plethodon dunni. I've seen tons of these in this area now and every intermediate coloration seems to exist from the typical striped pattern to these stripeless individuals. Dunn's is known to have unstriped variants in other parts of their range in Oregon, although not here. The toes aren't very square and it's head shape and behavior (quite calm and slow) do not indicate Aneides to me. Just thought I'd get some renewed opinions on my thoughts.

It is. The brightness and contrast on the one above was tweaked a little to bring out some of the gold stripe that was on the tail that wasn't visible in the original.

These guys can be tough to ID with a photo. I found an Aneides on Hwy 299 (between Redding and the cost) last year that I couldn't ID as anything based on color but fit in the genus by morphology. Female Aneides can make it even harder. I'm going to guess that you had a female Aneides.

RUSS

Wow, what a weird animal. I'd agree with Russ here, looks like ferreus based on those photos. Did you have any other photos?

Here's a good example of color being worthless for ID purposes. This is a pic of an A.f.f by Gary Nafis. Without looking at the feet I would have said it was some Plethodon. I would also bet it was a female too (head structure).
RUSS
21704.jpg

This one I think says it all, it's toes don't look square enough for me.
21719.jpg

Russ, is there any chance that Gary Nafis would allow us to use this photo of A. ferreus on Caudata Culture?

I'm sure he wouldn't mind. I pulled it from california.com; it's disclaimer says just to make sure you credit the photographer and site.

RUSS

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back