Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Meal Worms

B

brendan

I know that people say you shouldnt feed meal worms to your axie as a staple (as they cant digest the shell and it gets caught in filters etc), but as a treat. So i have a question.

Can you feed axies meal worms as a staple and once the shells have passed get them out of the tank straight away.

Or does trying to digest the meal worms shell harm or stress the axie?

Because i am just assuming that the shells dont do anything for the axies but the insides of the meal worms which do get broken down.

I do not have a problem feeding them only as a treat i was just wondering if meal worms could actually be fed as a staple on the basis that digesting the shell doesnt harm or stress the axie and once it is passed it be removed asap.

Thanks

C

cynthia

From http://www.axolotl.org/feeding.htm

I've fed mealworms to my axolotls, but the chitin (the protein that makes up the hard exoskeleton in insects) is undigestible to the axolotls. Even though I didn't feed many, the filter in-take actually started to clog with little pieces of chitin and I was still picking bits of chitin out of the filter media months afterwards. Apart from this little inconvenience, they're not a complete food, so I would only recommend them as a treat.

There is also a post here some where that suggests that if you feed meal worms as an occasional treat to remove the meal worms mouth/head before feeding it to the axolotl because it can cause internal damage to the axolotl.

"I just say no to meal worms".
happy.gif

B

brendan

By reading that it doesnt really say its bad for axies. My filter is pretty well maintained and any scraps/poop are taken out asap. So having to remove the digested corspe of the meal worm isnt a hassel.

Maybe if i say feed them earth worms in the morning and meal worms at night?

Or would my best bet be only as a treat?

Also i always cut the heads off the meal worms.

C

cynthia

they're not a complete food, so I would only recommend them as a treat.

I guess it depends on your definition of "treat".
To me a treat is perhaps once a week to twice a month, however your mileage may vary.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!