Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Are these spots normal?

krazeestraw

Reaction score
I know I have seen other posts like this, but I want to make sure that for my case, these spots are normal.

I just (today!) got a juvie axolotl - was told the mother is albino, father is WT (I didn't get to see them when I went to pick him up, as the woman who raised them was only sold the eggs). I noticed that although he shows WT coloring, he does have white spots on his body (he came with these, they didn't just "appear"). They do not look fluffy or mucusy, but it still worries me because I am brand new to axolotls. I made sure that my temperature was on par with the tank he came from, and I let him float in the tank to acclimatize him before adding him to his new home.

I have attached the best picture I have of the spots - not sure what he's doing with his back leg in the photo, but trust me it only looks like that in the picture, not all the time.

Even if it's just to reassure me that my axie is normal, thanks for your time and input!!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 359

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
You have a wild type. The white spots are iridophores, the same thing that gives him the gold ring in his eyes. But what a beautiful wild type it is! At first i thought it may have been a spotted melanoid but nope! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376525690.692098.jpg does it look like these white spots? This is my wild type. They look completely different! I love seeing different color variations of axolotls.

krazeestraw

Reaction score
Yes they do! Thank you for reassuring me! "It" was being lazy and I figured that on it's first day in a new home, it'd be too stressed and nervous to eat - not the case as it just ate a whole red wiggler like it was nothing!

Your axie has beautiful coloring! I am so excited to now be a part of this world! Thank you!

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
My two ate the day they were shipped to my door! I figured the same thing but decided to try to feed them that night and they ate like pigs! Youll learn pretty fast that they will eat till they literally cant fit anymore in there and seem to never be "full"(aka always begging for food even when they dont need it), you have the be the one to say "okay they ate enough" mine if i were to fee them till they puked, which im sure isnt good for them, id be more broke then i am now!
I finally started feeding them every other day, but im sure they would eat everyday.
And thank you :) i love your wilds coloring too! Its amazin how different two wild types can look from one another.
And yes welcome to this crazy world we call an axolotl addiction :) where talking about the consistency and frequency of poop becomes second nature to you.

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Lots of Wildies have spots - if you're still unsure, shine a torch at them. If they shine back, they're iridophores :) My baby Toothless has loads too - and Alkylhalide is right, there's so many variations of Wildtype colouring!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!