Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What is your favorite newt?

caudatadude28

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was just wondering what everyone's favorite newt was and why it is your favorite. I would have to say triturus dobrogicus but that is because they are the only newt I have ever had. I am looking into getting cynops and notos though.

onetwentysix

Reaction score
My favorite newts would probably be T. marmoratus or P. waltl. But if you expand newts to all salamanders, N. maculosus would be my favorite, followed by dwarf sirens, Eurycea lucifuga, and Necturus punctatus. They're all pretty great animals, though unfortunately the dwarf sirens are the only ones that've been captive bred for the most part.

Gingrich

Reaction score
I like Eastern Newts (Notophthalmus viridescens), Chinese Fire bellies (Cynops orientalis), and Alpine Newts(Triturus alpestris). I've only kept C. orientalis though and I like them because of their calm temperament, looks, and voracious eating habbits.

Blackhawk IV

Reaction score
I have to give another vote for the T. Marmoratus because of their really nice skin pattern but another one is N. Kaiseri for just about the same reason. In the salamander category, I would have to say A. Opacum because it's rather unusual skin colouration, a bit like a zebra's. Strange colouration since it doesn't do much for it to blend in with the foliage.

Blackhawk

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Strange colouration since it doesn't do much for it to blend in with the foliage.

Actually, unless I'm mistaken, The markings on A.opacum are meant to mimic the shadows of fallen leaves, which often have holes and scroll-like channels eaten out of them.

Blackhawk IV

Reaction score
Actually, unless I'm mistaken, The markings on A.opacum are meant to mimic the shadows of fallen leaves, which often have holes and scroll-like channels eaten out of them.

Ah, ok that makes sense I guess. I guess you learn something new everyday!:D

Blackhawk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!