Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How do you "Gut Load" Mealworms?

Critter Mom

Reaction score
I read that for Chinese fire belly newts (and I would imagine other species) that a person could "gut load" mealworms. I was wondering with what? They really don't seem very active in the fridge, so how is this done?

I know there is stuff to use with crickets. I use the orange slices from Fluker's that is for crickets.

Anyone know how to do this with mealworms?:confused:

I am trying to provide the most variety and nutrition I can, as my little guys are mostly terrestrial right now. I also feed them frozen bloodworms thawed, on a toothpick. I try to use the powdered calcium on them and they won't eat it. I can only dust the crickets with the calcium and have them eat them. (Picky eaters!:rolleyes:)

JJS

Reaction score
I usually get a few out of the fridge at a time and put them in a container with some type of proprietary brand of "gut loading" food and a small piece of fruit/vegetable for a day or two before I feed them to my amphibians.

Critter Mom

Reaction score
So that is how it is done! :D Thank you. I had no idea how to do this. I had never heard of this before I came to this site, and I don't think it had been explained before you said something here about it.

Thank you for sharing! :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1