Termite care

Lamb

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you look up termites on the web, you generally get info about how to kill them...the opposite of what I want to do. So, after finding a good number of termites under some rotting bark on a log, I decided to scrounge around to see if there were any tips to keeping the sample I've got alive and well until my E. cirrigera can gobble them up. Here's what I found:

3 things are key to termites
1. temperature - their activity levels are defined by it, and they wont forage terrestrially if too hot
or too cold
2. moisture - they are thin 'skinned' and can dry out quickly, this is why the colony typically
must stay in contact with the soil. They use mud tunnels to help them create moist
environments for travel.
3. food - cellulose, cellulose, cellulose. Obviously they eat wood, but they'll also eat cardboard and
paper. There are some types of wood they don't like as much, and occasionally they'll eat live
plant material.

These are the simple basics. Right now, I've probably got 100 or so in a 1.5 gallon mason jar with mud, soil, bark, and rotten wood that I found them with. I've seen soldier castes, and regular looking termites. You can find some pretty cool pictures of each of the castes online. I'm going to supplement the jar with some paper and wood, and see how it goes. I also plan to mist the jar once a day. It is covered by cloth and then the metal lid with holes poked in it. I'll let you know how it goes. If anyone knows how to keep 100 or so termites alive in a mason jar for a few weeks, please reply.

Do you know what species you have?

With subterranean termites at least reproductives are pretty easy to get ahold of since they arise from workers...i.e it doesn't necessarily have to be the founding queen.

I have absolutely no idea which species I have. I haven't tried to identify them beyond "termite." I did notice at least three different types of termites (castes, I guess). One I identified as the soldier caste, another seemed to be just a plain caste (perhaps worker?), and then I saw one individual that had a larger abdomen than the others and thought that maybe it was a reproducer? I realize that isn't a technical term ;), and I'm not up to date on caste names. When I get a second it might be fun to look into.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back