Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Earth Worm diet

Greg31

Reaction score
I have a 3 in axolotl. Just wondering if earth worms being his only source of food is ok. Someday i will start shrimp culture but for now its just wild caught earth worms. Is that healthy?

Kerry1968

Reaction score
That is practically all I feed my axies, apart from the occasional house fly or similar! It is a great staple food for them.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
While earthworms are a superb choice, a varied diet is ALWAYS best. Earthworms are very complete and nutritious but even they may leave the animal with certain deficiencies if they are the only food...and in the long run, problems might appear(not very likely, but possible).
You can offer small slugs, snails, waxworms, isopods, bloodworms (even the frozen ones are good), blackworms, small fish(VERY occasionally...never abuse these) and even pellets(make sure they are quality ones and specially made for axolotls).

Also it´s not uncommon for caudates to get "bored" of a certain food item, and temporarily refuse to eat it. Thus, variety will help keeping your animal interested.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!