Newts in space?

Joeo1507

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found this really interesting, Some of you probably Did know this but I didnt so - oh btw theres no newts living in space that I know of I just thought it was a funny title.

Pleurodeles waltl has been studied in space on at least six missions. The first Iberian Ribbed Newts in space may have been in 1985 on board Bion 7. The ten newts shared their journey with two Rhesus Macaques and ten rats, in an otherwise crewless Soviet Cosmos satellite. In 1992, also carried the newts on board, as did Bion11 in 1996.
P. waltl research was continued later in 1996 by French-led experiments on the Mir space station (Mir Cassiopée expedition), with follow-up studies in 1998 (Mir Pégase expedition) and 1999 (Mir Perseus expedition). Foton-M2 also carried the Iberian Ribbed Newt in 2005.
The newts were chosen because they are a good model organism for the study of microgravity. They are a good model organism because of the female's ability to retain live sperm in her cloaca for up to 5 months, allowing her to be inseminated on Earth, and later (in space) have fertilisation induced through hormonal stimulation. Another advantage to this species is that development is slow, so all the key stages of ontogenesis can be observed: from the oocyte to swimming tailbud embryos or larvae.
Studies looked at the newts' ability to regenerate (which was faster in space overall, and up to two times in early stages), as well as the stages of development and reproduction in space.
On the ground, studies of hypergravity (up to 3g) on P. waltl fertilisation have also been conducted, as well as on the fertility of the space-born newts once they arrived back on Earth (they were fertile, and without problems).
Other amphibian species to travel in space include the newt species Lissotriton vulgaris and Cynops pyrrhogaster, and frog species: African clawed frog, Japanese tree frog, and several frogs in the Rana genus: Rana pipiens, Rana calestiana and Rana temporaria.

One of our members here, Michael Shrom, provides NASA with some of the P.waltl used in these tests. If you use the search function there are some interesting threads about it.

I got to see some newts I think were returned to Mike from Nasa. He brought them to one of the Hamburg Pa shows. I don't think they ever made it to outerspace but they were huge, like little Godzillas. Bigger than most Tiger Salamanders. I knew they grew large but I would never have beleived that big

I'm raising up a bunch of juvenile ribbed newts right now that NASA needs for next summer. At first it was difficult dealing with a govt. agency with paperwork and delays. Now the problems are ironed out and they sent me a box of chocolate, salmon pellets, and some newts for my troubles. I think some of the new data points in different directions than some of the old data. My understanding is they need more tests to get a better picture of what is going on. The current research deals a lot with regeneration and cell growth.

Of course the next step is Axolotls in space.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back